Friday, December 31, 2010

A new word for 2011

Happy New Years Eve! This time of year everyone on the QuiltArt list is choosing a word for the coming year. Last year I chose the word "Thrive." It seemed a little silly, but probably as good or better than New Years resolutions. Really, I know this word thing is kind of corny, but darned if that word "thrive" wasn't just the incentive I needed at the beginning of last year. I had so many things lined up ahead of me and my goal was to not just get through them, but to pace myself and enjoy all the work involved in some very nice things that were happening to me.

So I'm doing it again.


Like last year, I made a little, tiny banner to hang on my studio wall as a reminder. This year I struggled for a good word, that wasn't just too much. "Appreciate" sounds a little sweet, but I am thinking of the meanings including, but beyond, the obvious message of gratitude. I am grateful for the opportunities I have had in the past year and some of the good things that are in progress right now. Appreciate also means "to be fully conscious of; be aware of; detect:" which is an ongoing goal. That is the beginning of all art—awareness, seeing things as they are, things one might not normally notice. Being present. The other meaning of the word "appreciate" is to add value, so that is another ongoing goal. To be better at everything I do.


This is the year our 12 x 12 book will be published! This is the year, if everything comes together, I will get to Houston for the Quilt Festival and meet up with the other "Twelves." This is the year my studio will be built, or at least started. This is the year we will sell our old house! (keep your fingers crossed.)  2011 is looking good so far. I think I'm ready.

5 comments:

  1. I got nothing to base this on, but I think 2011 is going to be a very good year. And appreciate is a very good choice. So a toast to your word, your trip, your studio, and anything else that comes your way. Salute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year and I hope all your hopes and dreams come true. Appreciate is a wonderful word and expresses how grateful I am to you and others who inspire me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Appreciate is a very fine word as a theme for the new year. Good choice.
    I have not had my inspiration, yet.

    Thank you for your wonderful blog. I've certainly enjoyed reading it every time you post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year Terry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciate you and your blog.

    ReplyDelete