Monday, December 27, 2010

Might work...

I got a Kindle book reader for Christmas, from my very sweet daughter and son-in-law. It was totally unexpected, a complete surprise and probably my favorite gift! (sorry, other people in my life—your gifts were great too, but I am still stunned by the "perfectness" of the Kindle).

I have purchased a book ("The Calling," which Joanne was reading awhile back and intrigued me) and I have carried it around the house and tried it out in all the chairs and reading places and even took it to bed last night. Even though I had heard all these things, I was comparing it to a paper book—readable? Yes! The print is crisp and clear and much more like reading from paper than reading from a lighted screen. Easy to use? Yes! Obnoxious reflections? No! And it feels good in one's hand. Really, it does.

I started looking at covers online. I think it needs a cover. I don't know how durable that screen is, but I don't want to take a chance that it will get scratched. Also, good, I think, if I am toting it around in my bag to have it cushioned a bit. There are plenty of options for purchasing a cover, but I am thinking I might just make one.

Pondering possible designs, I remembered the book covers I used to make to sell at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival. They were designed to fit the paperback versions of Shakespeare's plays sold there. I silk-screened a quote from Hamlet ("What do you read my Lord? Words, words, words.") on fabric that I sewed them from. They were an odd little item, something I would never use myself. Really, does anyone need a cloth cover for a paperback book? But I sold hundreds of them. I could barely keep up with the demand and grew so sick of them I finally quit making them. But it occurred to me that the screened quote might be kind of charming on my Kindle cover.


This morning Ray helped me locate the big box of old silkscreens out in the shed and I dug out the screen. It appears to be usable and amazingly, it is the perfect size to fit just right on a cover.  The design may look a bit longer than the Kindle, on the right, but it is an illusion. It is perfect. As if 29 years ago (my copyright mark is dated 1982) I could see into the future and know it would work for a yet-to-be-invented reading device. More likely the makers of the Kindle based its proportions on a standard paperback book size. Anyway, you will see it if it all works out. Even all these years later, I'm not sure I want to see that design again!

And a little about the screen, if you are interested. At the time I made this screen I was making other products for the Shakespeare Gift Shop—screened aprons, totebags, nightshirts and the book covers. I made permanent screens for each of the designs because I used them over and over. They needed to be sturdy, so I built them myself from 1x2 lumber, and stretched the special fabric (actually polyester, not silk) and used a photo emulsion technique for the screens, using sunlight or some strong lights I bought for that purpose. You can see, in the photo that I sealed the space between the wood frame and the fabric with paper tape that I varnished. This is the way it used to be done. Now I use duct tape. Much easier. This edge not only keeps the ink where you want it, it provides a place to put the ink, before spreading it with a squeegee across the screen. This screen even has a little "kickstand" for propping the inked screen up so it doesn't get ink on whatever it is laying on. I have probably 30 or 40 screens in different sizes that I haven't used for a long time, but I can't bear to get rid of them. You just never know. I might need one of them again sometime!

17 comments:

  1. That is so cool. I think you need to do Kindle covers in your Etsy shop - LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Gerrie ... so very cool! And with her suggestion to put Kindle covers in your Etsy shop. I would be tempted to buy one, and I don't even OWN a Kindle, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you like your Kindle! I do not by any means think they replace actual books, but I think big readers can easily find use for books AND a Kindle! Did you find that after a while, you were just reading, and not actively thinking "I'm clicking the button! I'm turning the page!"? It's amazing how fast you get used to it. And I love being able to look words up instantaneously, or highlight quotations for easy finding later.

    Someone on Etsy sells a pattern for making kindle covers (they look well designed and thought out) -- not that you can't do a beautiful one. Your screen looks perfect for this!

    May you have many happy reading hours with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder how many more accessories for as-yet-to-be-invented items you have ready to make in your big box of screens?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My friend at the library (head of reference) took a reader home for the weekend just to try it . The library has them available to rent. She said after about 50 pages she had no actual feeling she was reading an electronic book. Was it that way with you?

    Let me know what you thing of the book. I liked the way this author writes and the second book is also good but I missed the French policeman. He isn't in the second book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and several of my friends have become great Kindle affectionadoes (sp). I haven't decided if I like them yet or not. But, I think your cover is a great idea. I recognized it as soon as I saw this post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terry: I LOVE my Kindle. I got it for free (yes free!) from my bank rewards. It was one of those things that I would never purchase for myself, but was delighted to order it at no cost to me! You are right, a cover is necessary. I too worry about it getting damaged in my purse. I think your cover is perfect (it looks like the "resting display") and is much nicer than the $50 covers on Amazon. I have read 3 books so far on the Kindle (I just got it earlier this month!) and I ordered my text book for next semester on the Kindle. Amazing technology…Enjoy your Kindle!

    ReplyDelete
  8. considering how old is made new again these days, you probably find a use for the other screens.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your cover idea -- much better than the fake leather one I have. Make sure it's pretty sturdy -- I read my kindle in bed (you don't need to turn over to catch the light on the right side of the page) and plop it on the stand when I'm half asleep and am always glad when the "plop" sounds soft with the cover.

    I also got a screen cover -- it isn't perfect (I didn't get all the bubbles out) but i figure when I scratch the face beyond reading comfort, I'll take it off and buy a new one.

    I love my Kindle. Love, love, love. Although I did have to buy the real thing for a dense sort of academic book -- after I read it on the Kindle. I need to make underlines and side notes when I'm serious.

    I like it especially for trash novels when I need one Now! Like at 10 PM as I'm going to bed. Your daughter is a genius, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bought The Calling for my Kindle after I read your review. It is sort of gory, so far, but the inspector and her mother are fun.
    I do enjoy my Kindle although there are some books I buy in hardcover still.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the screen idea - pity I don't have a kindle but I am defnitely getting into screen printing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I got one too from my Brother-in-law. He got me the cover with a light as well. I'm really enjoying it and since there is absolutely no more room in my house for actual books, it's the best gift for a bookworm like me.
    Haven't done silk screening since college days but I remember enjoying the process a lot. I hope you make something with yours soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have an e-reader and it is a life saver while traveling...no longer is my lugage weighed down by books and it has made me a much more patient person while waiting for appt. such as at the doctors! I made a minature pillow case, using the same instructions as a large one...then depending on the mood I can change the cover!

    Anna, www.wooliemammoth.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am on the Kindle team! I am that person who used to wait a year for a 'new release' to come out in paperback to save money. Now I can buy almost any new release for the amount of a paperback IN ADVANCE. How great is that? I still go to bookstores and the library to check out titles, read a couple of pages and then make notes of what I will download. I bought them for all the readers in my family this year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the serendipity -- discovering that your old silkscreen is just the right size. I think you know I gave Jerry one for his birthday three months ago; he adores it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. so glad you are enjoying your Kindle. I can't wait to see the finished cover. I bought a cover for mine but I'm certain yours will be so lovely that I may want to make one, too.

    Kelly McMichael, author of the mystery, "Sin of the Father," available on Kindle via Amazon. Will appeal to fans of Elizabeth George, P.D. James, and Deborah Crombie.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Uho! Don't let Dennis see this post. Having bought me the Kindle ( good buy) and the ugliest neopropene cover I have even seen ( bad buy) he agreed on Boxing Day to return the Ugly Thing and spend £50 on a lovely leather lighted cover. If he sees this I shall be banished to the studio and he'll want his £50 back. Or maybe, I'll get it to spend on screens. Hmmm. Need to think about this one!

    ReplyDelete