Monday, July 25, 2011

Hopelessly sappy


I remember my children picking me bouquets of dandelions when they were little. I know I recognized how sweet that was, but I think I was also far too busy and hassled then to give the gesture my full attention. Today Sofia brought me this little bouquet of goatsbeard flowers, picked out in the weeds, and was so pleased when I put them in water.

Sometimes I think one of the best things about being a grandparent is reliving some of those sweet moments that small children provide, but with a greater appreciation of how quickly time passes and how rare those moments really are.

10 comments:

  1. Oh yes, I completely agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I picked dandelions for my mother, too. Weeds are, after all, just misplaced plants & flowers! And dandelions really are quite lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are absolutely right!

    ReplyDelete
  4. True, true, true!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Terry, your last paragraph there exactly puts my own feelings into words. The best thing about being a grandparent is having the time to just stand back and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terry, I know exactly what you mean. Our grandchildren our such a treasure for just this reason - a second chance to stop and smell the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hopelessly Charming!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wonder what my grandma thought about the flowers I picked for her on the way home from school. From all the neighbors' yards along the way. LOL

    PS I still do it and have a little teeny vase on my windowsill for the tiny bouquets. Dandelions included.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous7:58 AM

    I am a new grandparent, with my granddaughter just 9 months, and having not had kids of my own, this is a whole new experience. I haven't had any dandelions as gifts yet, but she does reach out for me to hold her, and laughs when she sees me instead of crying like with some others. :-) I do cherish those moments, especially realizing I didn't have them the first time around.

    ReplyDelete