Friday, July 15, 2011

The object #28 Money ball

Remember this? I told you I'd post a photo when I was finished with it. Here it is.

It is sitting near our front door in my succulent garden that is not quite as wonderful as I hoped, but maybe it's getting there. I think the "money ball" is a nice distraction from the scraggliness of the succulents.

I had seen a garden orb with pennies glued all over it and thought it was cool. Then I remembered the box full of foreign coins that we have been accumulating for the past 40 years. I finally thought of a use for them. I glued a bunch of them all over the concrete ball and when the glue had dried I grouted the whole thing. I have already had to reglue one coin that fell out, so I am hoping that was a fluke and is not going to be a problem. I am inordinately pleased with it, though. I can't stop looking at it. I think in 100 years one of my great grandchildren will take it to the Antiques Roadshow,* and though it will not be worth anything much, the expert will praise its quirkiness and sentimental value.



*yes, I think Antiques Roadshow will still be on TV (or whatever replaces TV) in 100 years. Because it may be the BEST TV SHOW, EVER!

12 comments:

  1. What a great idea and I see Cdn money there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how this turned out! I have seen them with broken pottery/china, but I like the coins. I also think the Roadshow will be on in some form. Human beings will always have "treasures" they believe are valuable. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your coin ball is fantastic - a real conversation piece! And I must admit, I look around the house and wonder what the great-grandkids will take to Antiques Roadshow! I suspect they will hear the words "sentimental value only" ....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have lots of foreign coins and no idea what to do with them. Now this gives me ideas. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terry, this cracks me up! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great use for the myriad of coins that are otherwise worthless and sit hidden in a drawer! I'm sure you will have fun telling your grandchildren about the places you visited to acquire all those coins.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very quirky, indeed! It is so much fun. I love it and am wondering how it will weather the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the money ball is a great idea. Just think, you will never be broke. LOL I have made a lot of mosiac items but never thought of using money.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are the most creative person I know. this is amazing.

    Your succulents might do better with less mulch. Add a few smooth rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great way to display your coin collection! Although I think the value for the coins has now decreased.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A great fun idea; it reminds me of Memory Jars which I've considered making. Good luck with the succulents. Mine are marginally holding on in the Texas HEAT so I'm not sure what climate they'd really love.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it . Reminds me of memory jars too

    ReplyDelete