Monday, July 11, 2011

Santa Fe Galleries

Santa Fe is second only to NYC for number of art galleries—or at least that's what someone told us when we were there. They have a lot of wonderful galleries. Some are downtown, but most are on Canyon Road, which is simply blocks and blocks of art. Amazing. I was really interested in seeing the Jane Sauer gallery. It is one that I read about often in the art and fiber art magazines and one of the few galleries in the country that seems to really embrace fiber art, though that is not all she carries.


Here's me. Do I look happy? I was.

The main show was the work of Geoffrey Gorman. It was so clever and lively! I would have loved to been able to afford to buy one of his pieces. But which one? I would have had trouble choosing, though there was something about those rabbits...  See here.  I have long been a fan of Charla Khanna's dolls, though I had never seen one in the flesh before. I loved the one hanging in the gallery even more than I expected. It was larger than I had envisioned. These are dolls, not as toys, but as sculpture made to hang on the wall. They are amazing creatures! See here.   Here is a nice overview of other work in the gallery. It was a real treat.

We walked up and down Canyon Road and enjoyed all the wonderful public art. I was so enchanted by the whole scene that I almost forgot to take pictures, but Ray took lots. Enjoy this little stroll up Canyon Road—

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tour, my last visit there was way to long ago - I'm thinking I need to go again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just there- but love your pictures- the day looked fabulous- I love to drive up further on canyon road and pick out my dream studio behind one of those old adobe walls- thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing. It is almost like I am on vacation with you. I love art galleries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waaah, I'm jealous, I want to go back! (Were you surprised at how small-but-packed Jane Sauer's Gallery was?) I always wanted to live there. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete