Wednesday, July 27, 2011

A Room of One's Own

This morning at 8 am, I walked down to the creek, stood on the bridge and took this picture. The last time it will ever look like this.

Several hours later this was the scene.


And at the end of the day, like this.
Looking back from the street toward the house.


These were the first steps in the studio construction. It has been a long time coming. Nearly three years in a concrete sense, but much longer in other important ways.

Virginia Wolfe said, in order for a woman to write she must have her own money and a room of her own. The same I think if one is to do art of any kind. It is true that art can be made anywhere, and has been, but oh, so nice to have one's own dedicated space—and not just a cramped, dark little bedroom, which, by the way, I have always been happy to have. This seems really big to me. I know I will love having the space to work in, but I will also feel that what I do is deserving of the space.

Follow along here. I plan to bore you silly with all the gruesome details.

15 comments:

  1. We could never be bored with blogs about construction of a new studio. this is exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Terry. I'm interested to see how the studio construction develops.
    All the best,
    Dana Fisher

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure the new studio will be well worth the wait. It will be nice to see the step by step building of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This will be fabulous, Terry! I can't wait as the details unfold and your choices are shown. A 'real' studio, for me, was life changing and I didn't even design exactly what I wanted! Congratulations on the ground breaking- and I will never get bored with the pictures- keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:25 AM

    It will be exciting, scary, frustrating, more expensive than you hoped, exhilarating, and ultimately satisfying. Enjoy the journey,and we will follow along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I look forward to watching the studio emerge and then spending time there. Hope you have a comfy chair for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jean S.9:04 AM

    How exciting. I've had a separate studio for 7 years and every day I'm so thankful for the blessing it's been for me. We do indeed need a space of our own. Can't wait to see yours progress!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We've just returned home from a quick trip to Corvallis to (almost) finalize the purchase of our retirement home. Included in the floorplan is a 16 x 20 room with a pitched ceiling, big window and skylights. ALL MINE. What a luxury!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah!!! That will be fun to come along on the journey with you. When we built our house- my husband had only two requests- and one was that I had my own studio-think he hoped it would contain my mess! we raised the roof on a huge walk in closet on the north side and added a bunch of window- it is wonderful !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous4:23 PM

    I can't wait to hear more. I'm starting the design process in Sept for a studio to be built next year, so I would love to hear about how your thought process evolved about what you needed/wanted. Please tell!

    --Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  11. How AWESOME Terri!
    Look forward to seeing the progress of YOUR studio!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are going to love it. And we all will have fun watching the process. Photos are great for knowing progress has been made -- as well as seeing that paths have been headed up by spaces you love.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes please share the all the gruesome details! I'm so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations! This is wonderful to have a dream come true and I am sitting here excitedly waiting for the next gory detail! Bring it on.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I will live vicariously through you, dreaming of my own studio one day :) As many details as you want and lots of photo's.

    ReplyDelete