Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Guest artist in the studio

Today my granddaughter, Sofia, joined me in the studio. She and her brother spend two days each week with us and Sofia spends a great amount of time drawing and cutting and coloring. Today, after she had nearly depleted the supply of paper in the printer tray, I decided it was time to introduce her to the big roll of paper in the studio.

Her first effort was this girl with a big head and a very small body. She gave it to me and I immediately hung it in the studio.  She followed with a drawing of her house and family plus a"gross witch" sitting on the roof and dropping worms down the chimney. Great stuff. Then she said the magic words—"can I have some fabric?" She designed and cut and I fused per her directions. The first piece was a rug for her doll house.


She completed several nice additions to the doll house, including rugs, a blanket and two pillows stuffed with Kleenex.


11 comments:

  1. A budding artist! She will remember these times with you the rest of her life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:55 AM

    How can she NOT be creative with a genetic pool like hers? Obviously you are a wonderful grandmother who encourages her. What a fun day the two of you had.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:51 AM

    How fortunate she is to have you as a regular part of her life!

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your grandgirl with us. The problem with not having children is that one also doesn't have grandgirls!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The freedom that young people have when creating is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How great! It's great to think how you might be inspiring her.

    Unrelated, I'm not sure how this fits into the type of stuff you make, but I figured I'd invite you to participate in my lil' social art project. Learn more here: http://makingmade.com/2012/02/27/day-58-undone-done/

    Thanks!
    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. You two are making such great memories together! I have very fond memories of crafting with my paternal grandmother and beach combing with my maternal one. My mom got my crafty daughter a book called DIY Kids. She loves it and I think there's ideas in there that would work for Sofia and definitely grow with her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous4:16 AM

    wow
    It look like she loves fabric
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww..that's so cute. I hope my daughter says something like that to me one day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. She's looking so big. And how great that she can come create in grandma's studio.

    ReplyDelete