Saturday, February 04, 2012

ShweShwe

Now, here's an interesting challenge—make a small piece using several pieces of this wonderful South African fabric called ShweShwe. This challenge came by way of my 12 x 12 friend, Helen. The African Fabric shop in England sent several of us a small collection of fabric to make something from. Here is the collection I chose.

Cool fabric, but these four colors seem very close in value and the scale is a little difficult. I kind of wish they had offered more variety. Oh, well, this is the challenge. What to make of these fabrics?

I need to think about what colors and fabrics I could add to these.

Warm, golden yellow? I like.

Acid green? Oh yeah. I like this too.

Maybe choose one of the colors to highlight?

And add that golden yellow? Mmmm. I am beginning to see some possibilities.

I keep seeing fish scales in that pattern. Maybe I need to follow that lead. I've always loved Susan Carlson's fish quilts.

Maybe...




6 comments:

  1. I like the palette you have created around the fabric. It reminds me of my Gram's Duncan Phyfe chairs. Another idea is rhody blossoms. Can you tell I am counting the days until spring?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way Susan Carlson uses fabric! Your fish looks like it could show off the ShweShwe nicely, but I have to admit that I was looking forward to some ShweShwe mermen when I caught a peek at your inspiration art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love her fish quilts too. Can't wait to see what you do with your prints.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your idea of the fish, but I also see the fabric as a roof, or a walkway, or a flower, and it would make really graphic leaves. I really like reading about your thought process. I will eagerly await to see what you create!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:08 AM

    I know you will come up with something wonderful. I can hardly wait to see what it will be. (smile)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would love to see the finished product! How did you end up using the prints?

    ReplyDelete