Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Small Pleasures


I thought it would be fun to make an interpretation of my last digital drawing in fabric. My first impulse was to use solid, flat fabrics, but I really wondered how my dyed shirting fabrics would look.  This was a quickie. It is only about 9" square (or un-square, it seems). I like results. I don't know if this style can translate to a larger size. 

I had this idea today to make some covers for little sketchbooks. It was kind of a crafty impulse on top of a realization that I have a lot of bits and bobs of ontresting fabrics, both my own printing and painting efforts and commercial fabrics. That gave me good excuse for a trip to the art store where I found a nice little Fabriano sketchbook that cried out for a cover. First try is a little boring, but I worked out the pattern, size, etc. 


A few of these might be good for a fall sale and open studios. Hopefully I can come up with some more dynamic fabric combos. 

8 comments:

  1. I love your little fabric bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, I like this interpretation. I think the choice of fabrics has brought the whole cheerfulness/liveliness to the bowl that you explained before.
    Sandy in the UK

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:21 AM

    Very nice. I think you're on to something wonderful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the small piece! Great colors, shading on the bowl, perfectly imperfect outlining. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the cup with the shirting fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your book cover is not boring...I find it quite elegant! Your bowl is very nicely done, I love how you were able to make it shine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your book cover is not boring...it is quite elegant! I love that shiny bowl too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are charming! What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete