Friday, November 18, 2016

I'm Still Here...



Flowers grow out of the dark moments
 - Corita Kent

Thank you for the reminder Sister Corita. I needed that.

There are so many things I could say about the election and what I am feeling now, but honestly, I'm really weary with words and everyone's sadness and anger and confusion. I have my own share of all these things and I sit with those feelings and watch the birds out my window and know that while I can't quite get past all that has happened in our country, life must go on. And it will, but with a very unsettling undercurrent that requires vigilance and resolve. Perhaps flowers will grow out of these dark moments. Maybe love is stronger than hate. I want to believe that.

Meanwhile, here in my little world, my patience has been under assault for months with the construction projects out front. The current phase has been the realignment of our road, which has had the road closed for more than a month. My Facebook friends know all about it, but here I won't go into the details of the gas leak, the water, the noise, the mud, my run-in with the Sheriff, my dismal Open Studio and frayed nerves. Our driveway is where the orange barrel is on the left. Old road completely removed. A mess.






View out my studio window about 10 days ago. This week brought paving and a light at the end of this particular tunnel. The road is supposed to open tomorrow.




We took our grandchildren to the Portland Art Museum, to see the Andy Warhol exhibit and Corita Kent exhibit.






Corita Kent is a personal hero, so it was a joy to see her work which seems both very specific to a certain time, and still relevant.








My son-in-law, Carlos, and I were invited to exhibit our work, again, at the Beaverton City hall.








And out in my studio, I am taking my inspiration from Sister Corita and looking for the flowers in the dark moments and focusing on love.







Peace...

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

6 comments:

  1. Sending you a hug! Thank you for your blog, which I love to read.

    Dot

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are not alone in this..... I hope that thought brings some comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, you are not alone with all the heaviness of recent events. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:32 PM

    I too love your blog and your wonderful art. (That little doll is very cute, I want to see where you take her.) Remember that you are loved and respected by many. Sally

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, discouraging times, but you are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you are right about something good coming from all this. I am not a political person, but I do vote in every election. Personally I find the winning candidate (he who will remain nameless) absolutely repulsive! The worst thing for me, was hearing that only 44 or 46% of those eligible to vote, did so. If this doesn't wake us up, I wonder what will!

    ReplyDelete