Sunday, September 16, 2007

Here's a little peek

I have felt almost superstitious about showing any pictures of the house before everything is final. We have not closed yet, but everything looks good, so I thought I'd share just a little peek. Here is the view of the house from the wooded front section of the yard looking across the creek.

This next one is taken from the same spot, turning 180 degrees and looking toward the road. That's Ray and our realtor.

Can you picture a little studio right there in that clearing? I can.

Here is one immediate challenge—the kitchen.


Tidy and functional enough, but the color scheme is turquoise and purple. Gulp. And yes, those are turquoise valances with big purple buttons on them. Purple pleated shades pull down from inside them. And, of course, matching blotchy purple wallpaper. (I am imagining my sister looking at this—she has a horror of all things purple! Hi Beck.)

What appears to be a stainless steel refrig is actually pale metallic blue. I have never seen a refrigerator like it. The table and chairs belong to the sellers, as do the bananas, so they will go. I'm not much of a "blue" person, especially combined with purple and especially in the kitchen. This has to go. I am thinking warm wood cabinets, terra cotta tile, new appliances, new countertops—something earthy and substantial. And, look—the unvented stove is in front of the greenhouse window. I think the sink belongs there, don't you?

8 comments:

  1. I can't figure why anyone would not put a large farmhouse type sink in front of that lovely big window. Purple & Blue...huh. I'm with Beck. I do like the glass front cabinets though. I'm imagining them surrounded by warm terracotta bricky colored walls. I'm so happy for you. Talk to you when I get back.I'm off to hunt the mighty lobster with a fork in each hand and a stick of butter. Damn the calories-full speed ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lot is wonderful. I look forward visiting sometime. By then, I am sure this will be a lovely as your current house. You do have a way making space comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:28 AM

    Sink in front of the window - always!!

    In our first apartment, I walked in and saw a purple painted bedroom. I told Mr C that I would sleep there for one night, only. It became trendy avocado green the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:34 PM

    Well, the first two pics downloaded and I was saying, "How nice! A creek, a bridge, trees, green--that'll be great!" Then, as the kitchen pic slowly unfurled on my screen, the "e-e-e-e-e-e" music from the "Psycho" shower scene started playing in my head. Just let me know, and I will gladly come down and help you pull down the purple, paint over the purple, throw away the purple. [And the turquoise needs to leave, too.]
    Otherwise, that looks like a great place to prepare a Thanksgiving dinner--room for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know that sinks are usually the thing to put in front of a window, but...while house hunting last year I came across an old old house with counter top in front of the window [farmhouse sink to the right, it was an awesome sink]. Anyway, that idea has stuck with me, something simple about it. AND...I had a greenhouse window in front of the sink...being short I could not reach a thing on the deep sill nor could we wash the window with ease. We almost pushed the sink down thru the countertop trying to get to that window.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now, I am not going to dis the blue in the kitchen as mine is colbalt and white but purple...um no. The metalic blue of the fridge just might be a very tight wrapping of plastic over stainless. I had a small stainless fridge that came wrapped up in blue plastic that was almost impossible to discerne, I thought they had delivered the wrong one! the door opened and closed with the plastic cover on it. only the back of the fridge was open with an area to grasp the plastic and pull it off. Who knows this may be one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought from your description last week that the kitchen would be way worse than this. Cosmetics, my dear. Easy for me to say, I know, but still.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous8:39 AM

    The purple won't be hard to change (or so it looks), as there doesn't seem to be much of it. You don't want to live with someone else's choices anyway. House and setting look like heaven to me!

    ReplyDelete