Tuesday, September 18, 2007

September song

When we crossed Fanno Creek this morning we saw these wood ducks swimming by. The ducks have been gone from the creek all summer. It was crisp and chilly on the trail. Sometimes September here is like a continuation of summer, but our summer seemed short and cooler than usual and now fall is truly here. It may get warmer again, but Ray turned the furnace on today and I dug out my fleece vest before I left the house this morning. I found a dollar in the pocket.

Our critique group met today at June's studio. Last month all I had to show was the big drawing of Farmer Girl. This month it was Farmer Girl again. I pinned the parts that are coming together to the drawing and warned them they would probably be seeing FG again next month. Too much going on in real life to get a lot of art done. FG needs to be done soon, however.

My vintage sewing stuff sold on eBay today. Not for much. But I am moving things out of here. Less to move when the time comes. I spent yesterday going through my closet with ruthless resolve. Today I took 3 big black garbage bags of clothing, one big bag of shoes and a little bag of handbags to Goodwill. Then I celebrated by buying a pair of purple jeans.

The chit-chatty element on the QuiltArt list has been hashing over the very important topic of what kind of clothes an artist should wear, and asking "do your clothes look like your quilts?" Another inane discussion. In the longrun I get a lot of good stuff from the QA list, but many days I just delete in disgust. It did cross my mind today, however, that purple jeans would fit the bill for artist's attire, according some of the criteria I've been reading. They're really not outrageous enough, though. They are a nice sedate deep, dark purple.

6 comments:

  1. I have to agree with you about the Quilt art list. I often delete so much of it that I wonder if I should just quilt getting it. But then I am afraid I may miss the few gems of quilt converstaion that I have found inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:40 AM

    What a well-framed photo of FG! Gerrie and I seem to be bowing to her presence...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gerrie does look as if she is bowing to FG.
    I've been enjoying the "what do artists wear" discussion. But you are so honest -- you say you are bored with it, then you post "It did cross my mind today, however, that purple jeans would fit the bill for artist's attire, according some of the criteria I've been reading." You have a great sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you are really getting that cleaning done -- odious, but necessary. I swear if I ever move again 1/2 of what I own is not coming with!

    As for what do artists wear. Clothing. Preferably comfortable and that protects from irons, pins, paints, dyes, or any other medium you're working with. Unless you live in a nudist colony. In which case, disregard :0).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:29 PM

    I like how small my butt is looking. I can remember cringing at an earlier photo you took of my behind - you or June.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:39 PM

    Thank you for mentioning the current Dressing for Quilters. THANK YOU I'M BORED TOO and feel guilty though. Love the ducks!

    ReplyDelete