Monday, September 10, 2007

Too much stuff

I have spoken of this before. I need to clear things out. For so many reasons. When we move I want to move only what I really want or need. William Morris said:
“Have nothing in your house
that you do not know to be useful,
or believe to be beautiful”
And, of course, the "beautiful" part is open to interpretation and changes as the years go by.
Once upon a time I was enamored of old sewing things. I liked what they represented—women who had used these things. Women who took pleasure in the same kind of work I enjoy. Their tools and leftovers inspired me and held a kind of beauty. But, like so many things, I have forgotten to see them when I pass their shelf and they are now dusty and unloved, so I intend to pass them along. Find these beauties and more on ebay. (I dusted them before I took the pictures)




Click on the photo to go to the auction.

2 comments:

  1. I could stand to take that advice. Trouble is, I've bought some tools and fabrics that were supposed to be to make beautiful things, but I haven't gotten around to them yet.

    However, my dresses is wearing a fur coat...dust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:39 PM

    What I think is interesting about the Morris quote is the idea that you can KNOW something is useful, but only believe it to be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete