Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Another house update

Seems like it's about time to update the progress on the "new" house. We have been delighted to see what the rhododendrens and azaleas that are planted around the property look like in full bloom. Here's the current view out the front window in the livingroom.


If there were anything to sit on in the livingroom, I would love to sit and just gaze at this for a long time! Toward the back of this photo you can see three rhodies in bloom. The colors together are so beautiful, especially the dark purple contrasting with the pinky-red and lighter purple.


Speaking of the livingroom—I spent the other day cleaning it all up. We've had a tarp down for months and it was full of paint cans and ladders. I put all that away and spent some time cleaning the floor. I was pleased at how well the wood floor cleaned up. We were uncertain about whether it would need refinishing. I think not right away.


As you can see, there is still blue paint visible. Everything beyond that doorway is still blue. Everything this side of the doorway is not blue. Here's what we ended up painting the den/tv room.
I am loving the kitchen. It is so nice to be able to fix lunch at the house now. Late in the afternoon the sun beats in the west-facing greenhouse window, so I got a reed shade to hang on the outside. I love the way woven shades filter the sun and create a beautiful filtered light.

By the way, Reva, the aloe plant you gave me seems to be loving its new home there in the window.

Bathroom

My latest project has been the little bathroom off the utility room. This is the one that used to open to the dining room. It will be a real utility bathroom and I didn't want to spend a lot of money on it, but wanted it to be pretty. It had a good toilet, which we kept.


It needed storage, so we used one of the cabinets we took out of the kitchen and I built shelves next to the cabinet. I love how that worked out.



The sink that was there was an ugly little molded sink in an uglier little vanity. I banged my hipbone on the corner of the vanity everytime I came around the corner into the bathroom. It had to go. I found this cute little pedestal sink, gently used, on Craigslist.

I replaced the old "Hollywood" light bar with a new one from Lowe's and found the towel bars, glass shelf and toilet paper holder cheap at the new Homegoods store. The mirror was also inexpensive from a local department store. I reused the window shade that was in the bathroom. I plan, eventually, to paint a big flower on the wall that you can't see in any of these pictures. The floor is inexpensive adhesive backed tile in a stone pattern. I really like everything except the toilet paper holder. It is just a dumb design. It does not stick out far enough from the wall to allow the roll of paper to roll and it wiggles on the wall despite all efforts to tighten all the screws well. I'm disgusted with it and on the lookout for a better replacement.

6 comments:

  1. Your new home looks great! You are quite the bargain shopper. I know you must be ready to move.
    Oh, and I love those rhoddies...we don't have that purple variety here. when Gerrie posted a pic of one I thought she was pulling our leg!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terry, you are going to be so happy in this new house - what a gorgeous garden.

    Fingers x'd for a sale in good time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's looking great! Wanna come help me fix up my new house? I'm afraid I won't be allowed to paint walls in pretty colors or with flowers though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The front yard is breathtaking!

    I'm glad the little aloe is happy, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:07 AM

    I love the paint colors you're using in the living room and den. And such a lush garden! I'm a long time lurker, and I think it's about time to thank you for sharing so many photos. Your blog is always inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:05 PM

    Your new yard is glorious! This time of year always makes me want to run out and buy 25 new rhodies; they are so shameless and flamboyant. And they pay no attention to the rules of well-modulated color!

    You've been busy with the house, too, I see. Oh my, what a lot of painting you've done.

    June

    ReplyDelete