Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Tree

Quilty, arty things move slowly these days. I finally got a real start on my "tree" challenge piece that our small STASH group is doing. You may remember that I was working with ideas back here.

This is the piece as it currently stands—fused only. I liked the hand-dyed fabric for the sky. I think it looks very stormy. My plan is to heavily quilt the background, so the tree comes forward a bit. It's not a large piece—about 12" x 14" I think.

I am particularly pleased with the drawing I did of the tree. It is a nice crisp graphic at a small size. I think I will make a small silkscreen. Not sure why, but I think it might be a nice little print to use for something else.

10 comments:

  1. I really love this! It is a great drawing and is really coming to life in fabric.
    joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool. It reminds me of...is it Klee? One of the early 20th century abstract painters who moved slowly from realism into abstraction. I like this piece a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this piece! Great negative spaces, and your colors are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am slowly working my way through blogland. I am so bummed that I missed the Rayna/Jane get together. I must head over to Reed to check out the art. I love your tree piece. And a belated happy birthday to Emily. I am slowly getting back to reality. Spent today emptying closets and sorting clothes in preparation for the demo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the subtlety of the leaves. They are there, but not in a cartoony-trying-to-be-realistic way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just wonderful! I like the idea of using the drawing for a silk screen. It would look great on a tee shirt. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, you win. %^)

    Mondrian, I think, rather than Klee. He painted fairly realistic trees early on, and you can see the negative spaces evolving gradually into the abstract square compositions we all associate with him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting and lovely. My first reaction upon seeing the piece was "a tree goddess!" There is something fascinatingly feminine about the trunk and it looks to me as if the leaves are extensions of her arms. This piece appears to move within the space about it. I can hardly wait to see how it evolves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful use of negative space. Thanks for sharing. ann

    ReplyDelete