Friday, May 02, 2008

How fragile we are

Yesterday Dee wrote about friends and gratitude in a lovely post. It happened to be a day when I was feeling particularly grateful and vulnerable and pondering the fragility of life.

My friend of more than 50 years is very ill. We were little girls, in the fourth grade when we met. Friends come and go through life, but some friends stay and she is one—a dear and funny and generous friend. Out of nowhere, quite literally, a deadly virus, then a complication almost more evil than the virus. She is a survivor and the greatest danger is past, but what she has endured is unthinkable and it goes on.

I once heard a scientist talking about viruses and he said his theory was that human life exists on earth to serve as hosts for viruses. That viruses are at the top of the food chain, as it were—the ultimate life form. Having lost friends to the AIDS virus, I have seen the power of an invisible enemy. My friend has been fighting a different virus, but it has been a battle for sure.

Again I am grateful for modern medicine. I am grateful to be able to have time with my friend. I am grateful for sunshine and the beautiful spring flowers in my garden. And mixed into that feeling of gratitude is the recognition of how little control we really have and how fragile we are.

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:53 AM

    And the part of the hospital where she is at doesn't allow flowers--I know a glimpse at the Spring loveliness would help her so much. So, for now we can only pray or send vibes or whatever way we have to share our strength with her. She is in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is a survivor and will get stronger each day. I have been thinking about her all day and wishing beautiful days for her. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and with her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sending some prayers and warm thoughts for your friend. What a terrible and frightening thing you describe. I hope she is on the way to recovery soon.
    That song is one of my all time favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad that your friend is through the worst of it. Healing wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry that your closest fried is battling one of these unseen evils. Yes, we are fragile and each day should be precious - and lived to the fullest. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My prayers for your friend's quick and complete recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Prayers and thoughts for your friend from me, too. Thank you for the interlude of listening to Sting's beautiful song. That was a lovely respite.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As someone who has dealt with illness all my life I can tell you that your love and support of your friend is one of the nicest things you can do for her during this time. Your words and love for your friend blessed my soul greatly. I hope that you both can find peace during this trying time. My good thoughts and prayers are with both your families.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautiful, moving and thought-provoking post. Hope she recovers soon.

    ReplyDelete