Monday, May 05, 2008

Mysteries of the Universe

I still don't quite understand how this works, but if you paint a piece of fabric with fabric paint, then lay a leaf or bit of foliage on top of it and put it in the sun to dry, when it is dry and you remove the foliage, its ghostly image remains. I use Setacolor paints, but it is my understanding that most any kind of paint will work the same way. You'll want to try this if you haven't, I think. I don't think I really want a scientific explanation. I'm happy to just file it away under "mysteries of the universe." Like gravity and magnets and carbonation, scientific explanations do nothing to enhance the mystery and magic.

I thought I might add this to the "water" themed piece, but it doesn't really fit in. Still, making it was a nice diversion this morning and I will pin it up on the bulletin board and maybe one of these days I will find a nice use for it. When I ironed it, it smelled like cedar.

I visited my friend at the hospital today. She is so much better, but still so weak. She was a little crabby today, which seemed like a good sign.

8 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear your friend is feeling better.

    I have done the sun-print thing too, but I didn't realize that it should work with any fabric paint. Hmmmm, now that the sun is shining again, I may have to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to hear your friend is better-that's good news.
    Thanks for the tip. I thought you had to use special paint of fabric for this. Very cool

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad your friend is doing better, crabbiness is a good sign...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah ! The wonders of cedar though! Love the background - works perfectly! Blessings for your friend - and yes, crabbiness is a very good sign !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I visit your blog every great now and then but have never posted. I LOVE the ghost image. I have to give that a try on something! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are going to get the scientific explanation because I know it. You can do this in the basement with no light!! As the fabric dries, it dries faster where there is no leaf or whatever object you put on it. The wet paint under the object then migrates to the drier area, leaving the imprint of whatever is laid on it. Sorry, I can't help myself. And, yes, this will work with any paint. Just have one more thing to say - Go Obama!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello - what a beautiful effect! I'm looking forward to trying it. I also found another source for Setacolor paints: http://www.dharmatrading.com/setacolor.html

    Happy day,
    Georgia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good wishes for your friend's recovery ... you are so lucky to have one another. I really miss my best "from early childhood" friend.

    ReplyDelete