Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Blog Action Day


Today I am joining thousands of bloggers, for the 2nd Blog Action Day, to write about the subject of poverty.
I can't begin to advise anyone about their responsibilities. I feel helpless and inadequate when faced with the kind of poverty that exists in this world. Famine, AIDS and government failure have contributed to a situation in the continent of Africa, in so many countries, that I can't even imagine. The fact that more than 9 million children die each year from treatable and preventable causes is stunning. Nine million. Children. Each as precious as mine or yours.
I am grateful to people like Bono and Bill and Melinda Gates and Jimmy Carter and so many others who have pledged their energy and, more importantly, their money to a promise to eradicate poverty. I joined ONE, the organization that is dedicated to raising awareness and keeping the issues of world poverty before our government leaders. I keep a link to their web site in my sidebar. You can see what they are doing and sign a petition if you like.

We are buying fewer Christmas gifts these days and, instead, donating money to charities that help to feed people. One of my favorites is Heifer International. From their web site you can choose animals to be sent to families in developing countries, that will help them to sustain themselves. My gifts, in the past, have been chickens. I like the idea that the chickens can provide eggs for nourishment and good, old chicken poop to help people grow gardens to feed their children. It's a small thing, but it's something.
Click on the Blog Action Day logo below for other resources and ways to help.
“If you can't feed a hundred people, then just feed one.”
-Mother Teresa-

3 comments:

  1. You inspired me. I went to Heifer International and posted about it too. What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The power of blogging never ceases to amaze me. I have complicated and conflicting views on poverty (and a host of other sociopolitical issues) and what should/could be done about it -- more than I care to blog about. But if others do and inspire still more to action, then fantastic! I love the idea of chickens -- my daughter was just saying yesterday how great chicken and horse poop are as fertilizers. I also love your Mother Theresa quote: it reassures me that the small part I do make is helpful in it's own way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terry, did you know there is a resolution coming up in congress to overhaul the US Foreign Aid program. It's to just agree to change the policy. You could probably read about it on the Oxfam site.

    ReplyDelete