Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Fall color

Fall has been glorious here this year. Ray says I say that every year, but that's not true! Some years the rain starts early and the leaves just get slimy and brown. This year has been pretty dry and everything is so brilliant that in some areas the very air seems a warm pinky-red. I heard on the radio this morning that rain is expected later this week, so I took my camera along on my walk this morning to catch the color before it's gone. I especially love foggy mornings, like today, to soften the edges of everything.

When I got back home I had to stop to appreciate my own front yard. Our burning bush is living up to its name.

Our creek seems to be entirely dry right now—the first time I've seen it that way. Looking down the creek toward the conservation zone next to our house. I'm glad we moved out here.

10 comments:

  1. Sooooo beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That first tree is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so fortunate. Here in California the tree leaves just turn yellowish-brownish and then fall off. I used to take October trips with my parents to see the fall colors in New York. It is something that cannot be captured on film. Now, a quilt maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely shots! One of the things I love most about Portland, after so many years in California, is the distinct seasons we get here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:37 PM

    Stunning. The trees never do that here. :(

    Anjea
    Austin, TX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous. Makes me wanna get off my butt and go outside.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it!! I am so envious that you have a burning bush. They are not approved foliage in Delaware. I so wanted to plant some in the back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:07 AM

    Wonderful pictures. I'm glad you moved there too! We have also had a dry autumn in Tennessee, so our usually beautiful season is just dead brown this year. Bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love autumn. I have a box of pressed leaves from my 'hood (PDX eastside), and usually collect the ones that have had holes bitten in them by some bug or have multiple colors on them.

    I really like your laurel leaves and the solution you came to. :)

    ReplyDelete