Saturday, October 18, 2008

Moving Day

Our old house has not sold, the housing market is in the toilet and we have decided our best option is to rent the house for a year or two and hope the economy picks up in the meantime. Today we moved the rest of our stuff to our new house.

Bright and early this morning the guys from Thunder Movers, Noah and Keith, backed this big old truck down our little lane and started carrying stuff out the door. Thunder Movers, by the way, is owned and operated by a woman named Dottie Thunder—what a great name! They had rave reviews on Angie's List.


I can't say enough about these guys. Nothing damaged, nothing broken, nothing lost. They were fast, efficient and careful. They started by shrink wrapping all my furniture.




The last item loaded was the piano. I remember, well, moving that piano into the house fifteen years ago. It required about 4 men, a lot of pain, grunting and nail biting to get it up the stairs and into the house. Noah and Keith used a dolly and body harnesses and barely broke a sweat.


The first stop was Emily and Cayo's where the piano will now live. Emily learned to play the piano on this piano and we promised it to her years ago. Do you think Sofia will learn to play? She was pretty excited to see it arrive.


Tonight there are a lot of boxes piled around the new house, but there is furniture in the living room and it is beginning to feel even more like home.

Perhaps best of all, the guest bed that we have been sleeping on has been banished to the garage, wrapped in plastic, to be stored away for now, and our own bed is waiting for us. I can't tell you how much I have missed my wonderful bed! I can hardly wait. I plan to sleep for a very long time.

Nighty night—

9 comments:

  1. Yippee! I wish you the best of luck in finding great renters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah!! I can't wait to sit in the new living room! If it is any consolation, I heard this morning that Portland is one of the best places to be during this economic down time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:34 AM

    Aaaahhhhh, home. So glad it's over with; so glad it went well.

    The lamp and chairs look perfect. June

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mazeltov Darling! I'm so sorry the house sale is a no-go but so very happy that you have finally landed in your sweet new home. What a long time to be without your own bed. I would have been crazed.
    Wishing you virtual bred and salt and wine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pivotal day! Now you can really focus on your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's about time. You need some rest. Congratulations, I can't wait to see some photos of the whole house.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:54 AM

    Sounds like a wise decision. The only thing to do during this crazy economy is hunker down till it passes. And you have a cozy and lovely new hunkering place, so enjoy a little peace of mind for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Claire competed in a Piano Festival yesterday. As she was sitting outside the door of the room waiting for her turn, I couldn't believe how grown up she is. She has become the kind of person who can set her mind on a goal, practice hard and then do her best when the time comes. Our piano was passed down from Claire's grandmother and her mother before that. As you know, giving your piano to Emily and Sophia is just one piece of the great adventure of parenting and grandparenting. I hope you have many many wonderful moments like Claire and I had yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your new house looks great, but I like this cozy corner at the end of the post. Looks like somewhere I'd love to curl up and read a good book. May you have many happy years here!

    ReplyDelete