Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Dickens card

Sometime in the mid-'80s I was involved with a production of A Christmas Carol in Ashland. My friend, Alec Teague staged it and hired me to design the poster and some large puppets used in the production. It seemed natural to use a quote from the play for our Christmas card that year. This one is another silkscreen print for the snowflakes, which I printed on photocopies of my hand calligraphy. This was long before you could choose an appropriate font on your computer and print the text on your inkjet printer. In many ways that doesn't seem so long ago. Hard to believe how far we have come in such a relatively short time.

2 comments:

  1. Love your colours - very "now".
    It's a solemn thought for Christmas-tide, but I'm struck by the contrast between your comment on how far we have come technologically in so few years and yet how little distance society seems to have travelled from Dickens's observation 150 or so years ago. I live in hope for a better world.

    Meantime, a very merry Christmas to you and yours - God bless you, every one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been weeding a bin full of memorabilia, and just this afternoon pulled out several examples of calligraphy I'd done, oh, back in the '70s or early '80s. Now, what's the point? Well, I do know what the point is... And Merry Christmas to you and yours, too.

    ReplyDelete