Thursday, December 17, 2009

"Let Sorrow Lie..."

Another Christmas card from about 1981. This is another lino block print, with some added watercolor. I have no recollection of where I found the verse—kind of has the ring of an old Carol, but who knows? It's a worthy sentiment for these times.

I went along with my daughter, son-in-law and Sofia to visit Santa at the mall a couple nights ago. It was a hard decision for a two-year-old. She was interested and excited to see Santa, but also a little scared. The scary part was getting the better of her, but I could see that she was fighting it. Having Mom and Dad with her helped, plus not having to actually sit on his lap, but there was a look of terror that crept into her eyes the closer she got. When the photographer said "smile" she tried, but it was more like a grimace, then Santa asked what she wanted for Christmas and it came out in a sort of desperate, strangled sob— "I wwwwant a Hello Kitty Booooook." Then it was over and she was elated at having done this scary thing and survived and delivered her message to Santa. I was so proud of her baby courage. Have I told you what a great kid she is?

5 comments:

  1. Ginny7:58 AM

    Well Terry, this brought back SO many memories of Mandy and Santa that I finally had to comment! Mandy was terrified of Santa or any other character - Chuck E. Cheese, Mickey Mouse, Pluto - you name it. Her older brothers would go with her to see Santa and they would both sit on a knee and Mandy would be standing about a foot away . I don't think she was ever brave enough to talk though. Good for Sophia!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Sophia. I hate forcing kids to interact with those giant characters. I admire Sophia's bravery in deciding that she wanted to do and going through with her decision. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nah, you never told us what a great kid she is. Why are you hiding her sterling and magnificent qualities? One would think you were a proud grandma or something --snort -- And if that is a mixed-up message, well, chalk it up to the season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, if you can catch The Santaland Diaries while it's still here...!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, you have told us, but you can tell us again... and again... and....! Throw in a picture more often! I know grannies have pictures! Even though I am not a granny.

    ReplyDelete