Thursday, December 03, 2009

Good day

Here is the second of my Christmas cards of long ago.


It is another linoleum block print and a pretty traditional subject. I think this was 1976, the year Emily was born. I was doing a lot of block printing at that time. It was something I could fit into a lifestyle that included a two-year-old and an infant. I was a stay-at-home Mom and was selling a few prints at the Pocatello Art Center. I have happy memories of that time in my life, despite the fact that I found it very difficult to get out of the house with two such small children. But being housebound was a good excuse to work on art and sewing projects. I was more productive in those days than I realized at the time.


:: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: ::


Today I had the great pleasure of meeting, in person, someone that I have known online for several years. That is Del Thomas, sitting between Gerrie and me at Starbucks. A nice young woman offered to take a picture of the three of us together. Del, who lives in S. California, was in Portland visiting her ailing aunt, but took time to meet us. Del is a wonderful supporter of art quilters and an art quilter herself. She owns one of the largest and best collections of art quilts in the world—The Thomas Collection of Contemporary Quilts— which are often lent to shows around the country. Turns out she is as delightful in person as she is on the web.

7 comments:

  1. What a great shot of you three lovely women. So much talent in one frame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always delighted to tell anyone who knows Del that she launched me as a "pro" when she bought "Parking Majik" all those years back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful to sit and talk to one of the great supporters of fiber art.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's not get carried away! The Thomas Contemporary Quilt Collection is not the definitive art quilt collection - it is just composed of quilts that I like. I think that John Walsh has the distinction of collecting (and commissioning) only the very best art quilt makers of the day. That being said, I love all the quilts I own (and quite a few that I don't) and it brings me great pleasure to share the Collection with others. My visit with Terry and Gerrie was very friendly and productive. I'm so glad to make their in person acquaintance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was a treat to see Del again and to have some quality art quilt talk time. Also to learn more of her history with Portland.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice Photo, guys. I'm sorry I wasn't here to mess it up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all those warm smiles. I'm trying to think of something clever to say about how much time you and Gerrie seem to spend meeting people at Starbucks, but I'm too tired right now. I do wish I was a week later though, so i could have met Del too. I admire her collection immensely and not just because she has two of my small pieces.

    ReplyDelete