Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Scenes from the super market—this is a true story

When I got to Albertson's I had to call Ray to make sure we had eggs at home for the spaghetti carbonara. I had forgotten to check. He confirmed that there was at least a half a carton in the frig.

So I didn't need eggs. But as I was picking up a carton of cream I saw a woman coming toward me with two children trailing behind, whining and protesting about wanting something that the mother had apparently vetoed. As I started toward her, with my cart, she turned her head and barked over her shoulder for the kids to "get out of the way". With her head turned toward the kids, she pushed her cart, head on, with considerable force, into the refrigerated egg case. Suddenly the kids went silent, their eyes got very big and the mother mouthed the words, " Oh Nooooooo" and covered her face with her hands. Wanting no part of this mess, I quickly whipped my cart around the other direction and made a beeline toward the pasta aisle. A little later I came back by the eggs and saw a jumble of crumpled cartons with raw egg mournfully dripping into a growing, slimy puddle on the floor. Egg City disaster area. Mom and kids were nowhere in sight.

I was glad I didn't need eggs.

6 comments:

  1. Grocery shopping with kids can be challenging. And by challenging, I mean not fun at all.

    I bought eggs yesterday and discovered that the brown eggs were cheaper than the white eggs. What's up with that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful picture of a cracked egg. Did you take it at the store or at home? The lighting is very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'mop up in aisle nine"
    that 'Mr.idontknow' sure gets around.(you know, the clerk asks, who did this. the reply ia always,'----

    ReplyDelete
  4. This picture is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very funny! Love the 'egg' art. It's a very eye-catching painting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous3:37 PM

    Love the egg picture! Unfortunately, being a single mom of four, I know how *wonderful* shopping excursions with children in tow can be. :) Too bad the mom in question decided not to take the opportunity to teach her children TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ACTIONS and find someone to get it cleaned up. She'll be sorry when they're teens and always making excuses for their own actions.
    ~Erin in NV
    stepping off her parenting soapbox...

    ReplyDelete