Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Hot

It is really hot here. I am dreading trying to sleep tonight. Our bedroom gets so hot. This is an old house with no air conditioning, which is only needed, at most, 10 days or so out of each year, but they can be miserable. When we get desperate we go to the basement and sleep on the hide-a-bed. We are not yet that desperate.

My sewing room is on the side of the house that usually catches a little breeze, but not today. Hot. Hot. Hot. I did finish another small piece for the Japanese Garden.

I was kind of pleased with the other moon piece that I did, so decided to try another. This was a different piece of blue fabric and it discharged to a different color than the first one. That is one of the mysteries and surprises of bleaching fabrics. The branches in this piece are all done with the satin stitch on my machine. I started them at a wide stitch and gradually made it narrower for each branch. This is another technique that I've wanted to try. I think of this as Liz Berg's technique. She uses it to great effect.

Ray used one of the grocery bags today and declared it a success. He said an added benefit was that it was just the right size to stick into the side of the grocery basket at the store. I had quite a few people request the pattern. I hope it works for you. Let me know if any of the rest of you want one. If you make one, send me a picture!

Today's littles:


>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

This looks like something fun to do:

Paying it Forward

Paying it forward, a la Jane Ann:

I will send a handmade gift to the first 3 people who leave a comment on my blog requesting to join this PIF exchange. I don’t know what that gift will be yet and you may not receive it tomorrow or next week… LOL… but you will receive it within 365 days, that is my promise! The only thing you have to do in return is pay it forward by making the same promise on your blog.

7 comments:

  1. I do so like the look of the "light" around the moon. I've done moon pieces in the past and have never been able to capture the look I wanted. Thanks for showing how it should look. the "how" is on me to work out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't even begin to imagine a house with no air conditioning, but sometimes it seems like we have about 10 days a year that we DON'T need it.

    The Pay It Forward swaps are a lot of fun, so sign me up for it!

    p.s. Any idea where to get the new iteration of Liqui-Fuse? I bought out the MIchael's supply when they changed to the 2 oz bottle and now I can't find it any more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sign me up Terry. I'll post my PIF later today.
    The moon picture is very sweet.
    No air conditioning...ugh. Hope it gets cooler soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sign me up for the PIF exchange! I love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that moonlight look. When is the Japanese Garden show again? I'm going to have to tell a friend who lives near Portland about it. Along with serious hints about loving your work :0).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the littles! The Japanese garden piece is lovely too,but the littles have a bounce about them that really appeals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5:16 AM

    I love how the moon 'radiates' light. So simple and yet so beautifully real.

    ReplyDelete