Friday, December 12, 2008

Paper tree #5

Oh, yes. There are more trees. You'll see a new one every couple of days until Christmas.

Little Angels decorating a tree with stars. How heavenly!

I am borrowing this holiday meme from Gerrie's blog. Feel free to copy and use. Fun to read what others do for their holiday celebrations.

Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? If those are the only choices Egg Nog, but, really, our favorite holiday drink is a Manhattan on the rocks with two cherries, served in an old-fashioned glass. (Cherries must have stems.) My Dad used to make these at Christmas and the taste and smell is a wonderful memory of Christmases past. I think this was the first alcoholic drink I ever had. Great with a handful of cashews or mixed nuts. Extra nice enjoyed in front of a roaring fire and/or Christmas tree. Put on a Christmas CD. Sip slowly and savor.

Does Santa wrap presents or set them under the tree? Well, duh, he puts them unwrapped under the tree to be found on Christmas morning.

Colored lights on tree or white? Colored lights and bubble lights. The gaudier the better.

When do you put your decorations up? I start putting up some decorations after Dec. 1. The tree goes up about a week before Christmas. I'm not a fan of early Christmas decorating.

What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? A really good ham. It's about the only time of year I buy one.

When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? It was a process. I pretended to believe long after I really did. But I remember being about 6 or 7 and skeptical, then one Christmas morning before I was out of bed I heard my uncle arrive at our door bearing gifts. He said to my Dad, "It was a long night. Santa didn't finish at our house until 6 this morning." The fact that I was hearing this exchange and they didn't know I was listening seemed like proof of Santa's existence and kept me going for another year or two.

Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? We used to open everything on Christmas morning. Now we open some gifts on Christmas Eve, and some Christmas morning as our son-in-law's family tradition has been blended into our family's.

How do you decorate your Christmas tree? Ornaments collected over many years. No theme, no rhyme or reason to them. The angel on top looks like a gypsy. Like I said—gaudy.

Snow! Love it or Dread it? If it's going to inconvenience me, or we are planning to travel I dread it. If I can stay at home and enjoy it I love it.

Can you ice skate? Yup.

Do you remember your favorite gift? My first bicycle. That was a snowy Christmas I didn't appreciate!

What’s the most important thing about the Holidays for you? Family, memories.

What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? Fruitcake. I love it.

What is your favorite tradition? Silly presents. We started this when our kids were old enough to figure out an appropriately ridiculous present for someone in the family.

Which do you prefer, Giving or Receiving? Mostly giving, but receiving a gift that really tells me that someone loves me is pretty special.

What is your favorite Christmas Song? Good King Wenceslaus. "Therefore, Christian men, be sure, wealth or rank possessing,You who now will bless the poor shall yourselves find blessing." He really was a good king. And the tune is catchy.

Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum? I can take 'em or leave 'em, but I love peppermint stick ice cream.

Ever recycled a Christmas present? Heck no! How tacky.

3 comments:

  1. I am ealy enjoying seeing all these beautiful trees, I will be sorry when they end,

    ReplyDelete
  2. The trees are great! I did something very similar but as Christmas cards a couple years ago. I'll haveta see if I can find pictures.
    I'm also gonna steal your Christmas Tradition list and post it to my blog with my answers.
    Catch ya later!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to more tree posts! I love them.

    :-)

    I may steal Gerrie's meme too.

    ReplyDelete