Monday, December 22, 2008

Enough, already!

Snow, I mean. I know, I know, this is nothin' compared to what some of you are dealing with, but we're not used to a solid week of snow and I'm getting cabin fever pretty bad and we're running out of things like milk and bread. I should mention that here in the Pacific Northwest we do our best not to drive on snowy roads because considering the way things work here there is generally a layer of very slick ice at the bottom. Having grown up in Idaho I know that cold, dry snow is really not that slick and not bad to drive on, but here where there is a fine line between rain and snow and the temperature hovers right around freezing, the stuff is very, very slick. But ice, or not, I think we are going to venture out of here a little later. (I can't drink my coffee without milk!)

View of the front porch railing, taken from inside the house. Under that cute little cone shape of snow is a geranium in a terra cotta pot. They usually live through the winter here. That's why it's still sitting out there. Bet this one is a goner!

End of whining.

Yesterday I spent a good part of the day in my studio. I was still feeling a little bit inspired by the snow and made these.

I have had this idea to do some "drawing" with my sewing machine and this was an opportunity to try it out. The trees and the fence were done freemotion with the sewing machine and I'm happy with that process. More of that to come, I think. And another perfect place to use my great little bargain polka dot stamp! (first seen here) I was going to trim these to neat squares when I finished stitching, but liked the uneven edges and left them. I put them on a dark background to photo, but may eventually mount them on something. And because I know someone will ask— they are each 9" square, more or less.

12 comments:

  1. I could not believe the snow on our deck this morning. OMG!! Steve went to put the chains on the Jeep and they were too big because he changed tires. He has taken the bus to Les Schwab on Powell to get new chains. We need to know that we can get out of here!!

    Oh, I love the trees with the uneven edges - lovely. A great reminder of Dec 2008!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:40 PM

    I-I-I think that may be SUN I'm seeing out my window!
    Thank heaven's it's not more snow! I had the flu last Tues. and Wed. and then snowed-in the rest of the week. Cabin fever doesn't begin to describe how I'm feeling. I have plenty of milk but am out of coffee. A real crisis--even worse than the power outage last night.
    My boys have been hooting about how silly Seattlites don't know how to drive in snow, but you're right--the snow is slicker here. AND, we don't get much practice with only one or maybe two snowfalls each winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those little quilts - so tranquil. They make ne feel still and peaceful. Oh, and don't you have a supermarket you can pay to deliver your milk in a nice steady truck with a driver trained to deal with ice?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The little machine drawn trees are wonderful, as are the uneven edges. The dark background shows off teh edges nicely. How about mounting the pieces on a painted or raw linen canvas about 12 x 12?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful little quilted snow scenes! I'm with you, I'm over this. I'm happy to watch White Christmas on DVD - I don't have to live it.

    (Do you have a can of evaporated milk in the pantry... just in case?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:49 PM

    No grocery deliveries. No mail deliveries. No paper deliveries. No garbage pickup. We did venture out this afternoon, though, dodging spinning cars, and stocked up on food...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:05 PM

    I like your art. We got our newspapers, a bit late, but retrieved before they were snowed over. Tomorrow will be interesting -- we need food, have doctor's appts, in other words, we must go out. More snow is predicted -- wonder what kind of ice we'll have first.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous6:09 AM

    These are wonderful! I too like the uneven edges, the fence, and the simplicity of them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great work, Terry. This photo site might be of interest to you:
    http://trinixy.ru/michael_kenna.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely little pieces Terry. Hope you and yours weather the big storm.
    I know all about living in a place where no one is prepared for bad weather. Here everyone has been freaking out about the heavy rains. Even though we are in such desperate need of water, big rains usually bring floods and mudslides. Jen

    ReplyDelete
  11. The quilted pieces are quite stunning. Your free-motion quilting is enviable and remarkable! I aspire to that level of skill!
    Merry Christmas to you and your family!!

    haortier

    ReplyDelete
  12. ooh! these cpaptured the feel of the snowy day so well--nice! seems like this weather might just last forever...

    ReplyDelete