Tuesday, December 23, 2008

There's snow place like home for the holidays

After yesterday's post, I dug my old boots out from under the bed, suited up and went out to enjoy the scenery and take a few pictures. Today's newspaper confirmed what I had suspected. This is the most snow we have had here in Portland in the 16 years we have lived here.

This is one of my favorite pictures I took yesterday, looking west on Rigert Road, from the bottom of our driveway. If you can stand anymore snow pictures, you can see the rest of my pictures from yesterday here.

The weather has consumed us this past week. I forget that many people take such weather for granted and live with it for months on end. Our trip to the grocery store yesterday was epic. We crept along in my Suburu, which handles very nicely on snow and ice, but has its limits. Once we got down to the main drag (Murray Blvd. for you locals) the packed snow had become ice, polished to a glassy sheen. Most cars crept cautiously along, but a few sped past us and a few were sliding and spinning into the curbs. The Portland bloggers are posting photo after photo of the snow. It's certainly all we're thinking about around here. There are some beautiful shots taken from the overhead tram that goes to the Oregon Health Sciences University at this blog.

I appreciated T's suggestion in yesterday's comment, to see if I had a can of condensed milk in the pantry for my coffee. I would never have thought of that and in fact I do have a can, but fortunately we made it to the store for supplies. Helen's suggestion to have groceries delivered was good, but useless in this weather. No deliveries happening, of any kind. We didn't even get a mail delivery yesterday. So much for "Neither snow, nor rain, nor heat, nor gloom of night stays these courageous couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds". But now I find out that the US Postal Service never even said that. It was Herodotus, 2500 years ago.

10 comments:

  1. I like Rigert Road looking east -- number 11 -- because of the red stop sign and the red light overhead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went shopping in downtown PDX this morning. I was so happy to see other people - not that Mr C isn't adorable, but I am a social person - love my peeps. I feel better. I have some gifts to wrap. I will go do my Holiday food shopping later. I have suspended art making for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pictures look more like they were taken at Mt Bachelor than Portland. Hope you are staying warm and dry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:54 PM

    The photo is just stunning - I live in Australia and have no concept of what it must be like for you folk in the Northern Hemisphere - talk about taking things for granted!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing photo - such perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely shots! Mine aren't nearly as bucolic, but here they are: http://flickr.com/photos/revalani/sets/72157611461342777/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Herodotus? Well, that made my eyebrows rise - whoda thunk it?

    Geez, Terry, inspiring, insightful AND educational. What a joy to follow your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved your snow pictures! It has been years since I lived in the snow, but I do remember how beautiful it is. I also remember how cold it is. Ha.

    Merry (White) Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh a white Christmas! Have a great time and I hope 2009 is a good year for you Terry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My son asked his wife why she was taking a picture of the trash cans..."Because they look so cool with their snowy hats" {or close fax}....all over the NW, bloggers are posting their snowy pix of trash can hats and snowed in streets! I added "snowman making with 3 year old 101" to my blog. I agree tho...it looks like we should all be in the mountains.

    ReplyDelete