Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Wednesdays don't get much better than this one

Gerrie had the STASH group for lunch today to celebrate my birthday and Linda's. Lunch was fabulous—a delicious drink, the name of which I do not remember, vegetable quiche with fresh asparagus, a yummy salad, bread and for dessert molten chocolate lava cake with ice cream and fresh strawberries. Is your mouth watering? Fun visit with everyone, except Beth who is out of town. We had a tour of Gerrie's refurbished studio and office. Gerrie gave Linda and me each a beautiful plant. I think it is a lily of some kind.




Later in the afternoon my son-in-law called to tell me that the birthday present he has been working on for me was ready. I went right over and this is what awaited me.

This is a painting of the huge indoor/outdoor market in Cuenca, Ecuador, my son-in-law Carlos' home town. Isn't it wonderful? It is not only a beautiful painting, but has special significance to me. When we spent Christmas and New Years in Ecuador in 2005/2006 Carlos' mother took me to the market to help her shop for a fabulous New Years Eve dinner. It was a memorable experience seeing all that beautiful food and beautiful people. You can see my photos of the market here, on our Ecuador blog.

Now, Ray is reheating the last of my birthday enchiladas for dinner. My birthday was actually on Sunday, but today has been a very good birthday!

16 comments:

  1. I love that painting. I have several photos of outdoor markets that I have taken on my travels. I always love the beauty of sorted and stacked fruits and veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, that painting is wonderful!

    It was lovely to spend some time with you today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think those are calla lilies. I haven't seen them in pink before. The white ones show up in weddings here all the time.
    Amy in TX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brenda7:41 PM

    The painting is spectacular!!! Belated Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful presents and I love your pieces on the previous post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Belated Happy Birthday Terry. What a magnificent painting. Amazing talent there.
    Hope you have the best year yet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy belated birthday Terry. That is a beautiful painting. Talent does run in your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday Terry, glad you had a wonderful day. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those calla lilies a beautiful. The painting is so special. You must show us all where you hang it.

    Happy B-day, again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday! The painting is wonderful and is extra special because it's personal. I really like the Residual Matters and the piece you're working on has nice spring colors.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The painting is fantastic!!!!!!!!

    Oh....and HB Terry! you lucky mom-in-law!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Belated happy birthday! I LOVE the painting of the market.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fabulous birthday gift! Lucky girl ... Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't think of a more special and thoughtful gift than that beautiful painting...and aren't you lucky to have such good friends to have lunch with?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous7:20 PM

    What a great painting! June

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fabulous painting! The colors are just phenomenal.
    Belated Happy Birthday wishes!

    xo

    ReplyDelete