Thursday, June 05, 2008

Water, water, water

I've been away for a few days and haven't had the chance to direct you all over to the 12 x 12 blog to see the new reveal of the "Water" theme pieces. Here's mine:

They are all quite wonderful as usual. What a great group. I feel so lucky to be a part of it.

We took a great little trip this week, with my brother, sister-in-law and niece. Lots of water involved in it. We took the train to Seattle, spent a night there, then took the Victoria Clipper boat to Victoria BC. We arrived in Victoria Harbour in the rain, but that does nothing to diminish its beauty. Here are Ray and my brother, Steve walking from the boat with the beautiful Empress Hotel in the background.


I love the Legislature building, above, with the totem pole out in front.

Here's one of the reasons we went to Victoria.


We saw Crosby, Stills and Nash at the Royal Theatre. Yes, we are fogies. Yes, we love our old music! It was a great concert and filled my head with music and memories and gratitude to have lived in the times that I have lived in and seen what I have seen. Isn't it amazing how music does that?

And here's another piece of news that filled my heart with joy. Front page of the national newspaper yesterday morning.


At the concert Graham Nash said, "It's a great day today. America turned in a new direction today!" The Canadians clapped politely, and I cheered—politely, of course. I was in Canada, after all!

5 comments:

  1. Oh, I can so relate to your feelings about our 60's music. I look in the mirror and see this middle aged woman, I hear the music and I feel like I'm a teenager again. Where did the years go?
    Your water piece is lovely. It is interesting, the subject is very different from quilts you've posted on the blog, but I can see your voice and hand in the design and execution. I can hear that bubbling stream, taking me back to camping in the Sierras.

    Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Victoria! Did you go Butchart gardens? and your water quilt is lovely..

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi Terry, I haven't had a chance to visit for a while and have been catching up.... I am not even on the same continent, but I share your delight at the news, I am positively allergic to Hillary Clinton and her fake "image consultant" persona.... Obama seems like a breath of fresh air to me. Your post about your dad was particularly beautiful, a wonderful tribute, and I am GREEN about Crosby Stills and Nash, they were huge favourites of mine in my High School and University days! The tree and water quilts are lovely. The new house is looking wonderful, when are you planning to move in there, or do you have to sell the old one first?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your water piece Terry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:59 AM

    I don't read blogs every day, which is why I'm so late. I can relate to your statement about how glad you are to have lived when you did and seen what you've seen. I am probably 3 or 4 years younger than you because I was a junior in high school when Bobby Kennedy got killed. I LOVE the things that I can remember happening and the people that I've known - and that I would have missed if I had been born later. And the music I grew up with - so much better than what's been popular since!

    So I never regret my age or wish I were younger.

    And I love your water piece, too. It's so serene and reminds me of Japanese gardens of just gravel & rock. The gravel is raked into graceful lines, just like your quilting.

    ReplyDelete