Monday, August 10, 2009

Mi casa es su casa

My friend Paula told me there is a new Goodwill Super Store in Beaverton, so I went and found it today. I have to say that I love browsing Goodwill stores. This one has a very impressive book section and has a lot of clothes, but I usually gravitate toward that corner toward the back that is the "whatever" section. You just never know what you'll find back there. I carried around a white porcelain toilet paper roll holder thingie for awhile, but put it back when I realized there was a mounting piece that was missing. Then I found this.

It is about 10 inches wide and will go on the studio we are still trying to figure out how to build. Or maybe it will just go on the door to my little workroom/hovel that I am currently working in. I loved its Mexican Talavera kitschiness.

I recently read a blog that referred to "tacky Mexican pottery" and I had to laugh. It is probably exactly the kind of stuff I love. The writer had used a photo of said pottery as the subject for an art quilt, but she had changed the colors to a palette of tasteful greens. Odd. Well, that's my opinion anyway. I once used a piece of Mexican pottery in a quilt too butI didn't change the colors.

And, as long as I'm going on about Mexican pottery I have to remind you of this story. Still using and loving the bowl and still blown away by the gesture.

Viva la tacky Mexican pottery!

3 comments:

  1. I love Mexican pottery. How couldn't you? Puerto Vallarta (old section) is full of the stuff and you can't get away from it. Bathrooms, kitchens, every nook and crannie. Hand painted, mass produced, I don't care-I think it is wonderfully beautiful and functional. And in a quilt? Perfect!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful plate. I wouldn't change a thing on it. Makes me want to go to Mexico!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's perfect for your hovel and maybe it's power is enough to off-set the walls and wall paper border you dislike. When you finally build your studio, then there's no reason it couldn't move. :-)

    ReplyDelete