Last month I cleaned up all the wooden outdoor furniture and stained it all a similar color. It was amazing to me how much better everything looked, so I decided to sew new cushion covers for the front porch glider. I bought some heavy cotton duck in my favorite dark, earthy red and whipped them up yesterday. It wasn't until I had finished them that I noticed a large stain on one, apparently on the fabric when I bought it. What a pain. I decided to wash it before spraying both cushions with Scotch Guard, in the hope that the stain would come out. When I started to hand wash the cover it turned the water deep red, so I decided I had better wash both. I did not want red dye rubbing off on our clothes from the cushions. I washed and dried both covers and then discovered they had shrunk. My simple project was getting more complicated by the minute. I managed to stuff the cushions inside, but they are tight. I am hoping that sitting on them will help to stretch the covers out a bit and the fit won't be quite so tight. The stain, by the way, only came partially out. But, if not perfect, at least that job is done and the glider looks better than it did.
While at the fabric store getting the cushion fabric I also got some fabric to make a dress to wear to a wedding later this summer. I can't remember the last time I wore a dress! I have a lightweight linen shirt/jacket that I like and have had few opportunities to wear, so I bought some teal linen to make a sleeveless dress to go under it. I hope I have better luck with the dress than the cushions. If the dress fits me like the covers fit the cushions I'm not wearing it!
Your project with the cushions is the perfect example of why I tend to steer away from my sewing machine these days. All of my projects seem to swell much more than I would like.ReplyDelete
Love the dress fabric.
Ay yi yi. Talk about project creep. I'll bet you haven't lost your garment sewing chops.ReplyDelete
((Sigh)) I think I might have tried a stain remover or just put them stain down. You know there will me a matching stain, soon!! I love the colors in that print. I hate the way dresses look on me so I usually do separates.ReplyDelete
Oh Terry, this made me laugh. I love your description of "sewing mojo".ReplyDelete
thank you so much for the bookmark by the way. I love it and it is now my favorite one.
Susan in Spokane
Nah, you got it out of your system with the cushions...the dress will be fine. Think of it as a life size doll dress!ReplyDelete
Gerrie, i actually did try a stain remover first and that didn't do a thing, and, wouldn't you know, the stain extends around the side of the cushion so is visible on both sides. the whole setup conspired to frustrate me as much as was possible!ReplyDelete
Make a muslin first to test whatever pattern you are going to use. It gives you the chance to make adjustments to your pattern and ensures that the final garment will fit. But all this advice might be too technical, in any case try it before you cut into your good fabric.ReplyDelete
Hm-m-m, many years ago I stopped washing my quilting fabric because the unwashed stack was overtopping the washed/on the shelves stack. So, I probably wouldn't have thought to prewash either. And if I had to make a muslin first I would never make anything - once is enough for me. I do well with things for Corky - pillows, a grooming bag, pads for his strollers. I even made him a bed once! Princes demand that sort of thing. Your red cushions look very sophisticated. Love, DelReplyDelete
And, remember to prewash the dress fabric, so if it feels like shrinking, it will do so before you get started (you probably knew that).ReplyDelete
Even if your mojo is going, you are still the best seamstress I've ever seen! Grandma Clarice is still watching--she'd never let you completely fowl up a sewing project. The cushions look great and they WILL stretch back out. Looking forward to seeing your beautiful teal dress.ReplyDelete