Last month I cleaned up all the wooden outdoor furniture and stained it all a similar color. It was amazing to me how much better everything looked, so I decided to sew new cushion covers for the front porch glider. I bought some heavy cotton duck in my favorite dark, earthy red and whipped them up yesterday. It wasn't until I had finished them that I noticed a large stain on one, apparently on the fabric when I bought it. What a pain. I decided to wash it before spraying both cushions with Scotch Guard, in the hope that the stain would come out. When I started to hand wash the cover it turned the water deep red, so I decided I had better wash both. I did not want red dye rubbing off on our clothes from the cushions. I washed and dried both covers and then discovered they had shrunk. My simple project was getting more complicated by the minute. I managed to stuff the cushions inside, but they are tight. I am hoping that sitting on them will help to stretch the covers out a bit and the fit won't be quite so tight. The stain, by the way, only came partially out. But, if not perfect, at least that job is done and the glider looks better than it did.
While at the fabric store getting the cushion fabric I also got some fabric to make a dress to wear to a wedding later this summer. I can't remember the last time I wore a dress! I have a lightweight linen shirt/jacket that I like and have had few opportunities to wear, so I bought some teal linen to make a sleeveless dress to go under it. I hope I have better luck with the dress than the cushions. If the dress fits me like the covers fit the cushions I'm not wearing it!