Sunday, January 26, 2014

What next?

Boy, it has been hard to get back to work after our trip to Ecuador, Christmas, New Years, trip to San Francisco and getting caught up with everything. Really, I'm still not caught up. I feel the need for some direction, though.

I am between projects. I have finished a couple large pieces that will be submitted for shows. I can't show them until I know if they have been accepted. High Fiber Diet has a show coming up called "What's Blue to You?" I need to get started soon if I am to have something to submit for that. What's blue to me? Good question. Blue is not a favorite color, but it has its place and connections in my mind. I just need to let my mind wander a bit. I thought I had an idea and tried a small piece, but it didn't excite me, so I am waiting for a better inspiration. Blue. Feeling blue, maybe. For the past couple days I have puttered around the studio. I made my valentine for this year. You will see it in a couple weeks. I have cleaned up and folded fabric and put things away. I have lost my enthusiasm for the small beaded work I was doing. There is an artist who seems to think I am copying her work with those little pieces. That makes me blue. She has told people I am copying her. I wouldn't—didn't, but now I feel scrutinized and paranoid and the satisfaction has gone out of that work.


I plan to continue with the shirting fabric work somehow. Over the past year I have "harvested" so many old shirts for their fabric. I saved all the labels and buttons in a cup. That is a year's worth above. Maybe someday I will make something using all those labels and buttons.

This morning in the shower I was thinking about where I might go from here and the view through my shower door didn't give me any concrete ideas, but the color sure was beautiful and made me remember that inspiration is all around if we just pay attention!


Tomorrow I will be posting this week's digital drawing from June and from me. I had a good time and made some good discoveries with this one, so I'm looking forward to sharing it. Vicki Miller played along with us last week and posted her digital drawings of her coffee mug on her blog. The other day someone said to me, " So, I see you are switching to digital art now..."  No, no, no. I am experimenting for my own enjoyment and as a new approach to my drawing practice, which is all in the interest of making me better in all that I do. I can't imagine abandoning my fabrics and sewing machines.

Right now I need to figure out what's blue to me... Ideas?


9 comments:

  1. what's blue to you? when someone accuses you of stealing ideas when you haven't? And for that matter when they probably didn't originate the idea to begin with.
    I know it has made you lose interest, but really I hope you come back to it.
    Sandy in the UK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Terry,
    I can say one thing, if I'm blue your work and blog always cheers me. Your artistic sense and vision always brings a sense of calm and happiness to whatever is or has gone on in my day. Whether it's your fiber work, your drawing, your travels or experiences -- it's always uplifting. And I'm sorry someone has insinuated that your bead work was derivative of their work. The way you were using beads, rocks, found objects was such a nice compliment to the shirt fabrics and anyone who follows your work would know immediately that it was your vision being expressed... not a copy or rerun of someone elses. Thank you for sharing all that you do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the previous comments. Don't let it get you down. I know that's easier said than done. One of the " four agreements" is "don't take anything personally".
    The problem is at her end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the previous comments. Don't let it get you down. I know that's easier said than done. One of the " four agreements" is "don't take anything personally".
    The problem is at her end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember in grade school we were asked by the teacher to describe the day (outside). It was Phoenix in spring, so pleasantly warm, fresh smell and that intensely wildly blue sky from horizon to horizon. Not a cloud in it. Warm fresh blue happy and almost seemed to emanate potential. I said it was a "Blue day". I was immediately informed in no uncertain terms that it was NOT blue as blue meant sad and depressed so it was NOT a blue day. (clearly I've been scarred for life). However, to this day a 'blue day' has always meant to me a gorgeous blue sky happy day. They are a treasure to savor here in Portland. Good luck with your challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was gazing out to the Pacific this morning... it is an oddly blue and gloomy day after a winter of intense (For us) warmth... in the daytime its close to 80o. The nagry sky this morning and teh angry high tide sea made me mellow and kinda filled me with peace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The closed mindset that produces a comment like "So, I see you are switching to digital art now..." made me smile - I have similar comments in other contexts in mind. there's a certain fabric designed by American designer Jennifer Sampiou years ago - irregular brown coin spots on black fabric that has a number have times produced comments about 'Aboriginal designs' I do ...as if I would .

    ReplyDelete
  8. The blues (as in music). The blues (as in down in the dumps). Maybe both together since they do relate to one another.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blue is my favorite color...cobalt and turquoise-the best! Yum! The sky and the water are two things that first come to mind when I think about what is blue.

    And as to the artist who feels you are copying her work- phooey on her. No one has the right to say they are the only ones who can stitch and bead small works abstract or pictorial. That technique is/has been in the art/craft realm for MANY, MANY years. The ideas and images and all the stitching are your work. Hope you will be re-inspired to continue that which you were enjoying!

    ReplyDelete