After I wrote my post a couple days back about my "quilty secrets" I got some comments from others about their secrets. When I read Joanne's, about holding pins in her mouth, I wanted to jump through my monitor screen and yell at her—DON'T DO THAT!! For many years I had that same habit of sticking pins in my mouth as I was pinning pieces together. It takes both hands to pin so it really is handy to have your pins in your mouth. But then I read THIS! Horrifying! I swore I would never stick another pin in my mouth.
It's a wrist pincushion. I think I had one back when I was in 4-H. Functional, but flimsy and cheap. Still, so handy when pinning. So I made my own.
More like a bracelet, made to fit my wrist. It is held on by a piece of elastic jewelry cord and a wooden bead. The cushion is made from multiple layers of felt, backed by a piece of flexible plastic so I don't poke the pin all the way through into my arm. All covered with fabric. Here it is waiting in a handy spot for when I need it.
So, Joanne, and all you other pin chewers out there, follow my example and make or buy a wrist pincushion and GET THOSE PINS OUT OF YOUR MOUTH! I mean it.
I have a confession: I've held pins in my mouth. But I just read that article and I think I'm convinced - never again. I'm off to make a wrist pin cushion.ReplyDelete
Just read that story - how terrible!! I do not hold pins in my mouth and if the thought should ever cross my mind that story would put a stop to it.ReplyDelete
I have one of those little wrist cushions but I don't care much for it. I'm terrified of pins falling on the floor and my dog eating one. LOL
I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart! I put pins in my mouth all the time and always have.....Never again. I actually felt sick when I read that article. Hyperbole aside,I feel like you've saved,if not my life,then someone's somewhere. JulieReplyDelete
going to get a pin cushion.....ReplyDelete
Great post, good advice, fair warning - don't watch me when I sew, after about 65 years I don't think I can break the habit. But I'll try.ReplyDelete
I read a story years ago about a seamstress who did tailoring and would hold pins in her mouth. One day she got very sick and thought maybe she had appendicitis. They did x-rays and it showed that she had about 10 pins lodged in her intestines. The pins she had swallowed over the years got stuck together causing her pain. They did surgery to remove them and she recovered. Very scary. I try really hard to not hold pins in my mouth. Although, I do like the ring pin cushions. These are in an etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/market/pin_cushion_ring I should probably get/make one.ReplyDelete
I have a wrist thing too, but it's magnetized- I saw that bit about choking on pins years ago and really make a point to not put them in my mouth any more. Good advice for everyone. And while I'm at it with warnings, get rid of all button batteries unless they are held in with screws! We are CELEBRATING my granddaughter's sixth year since she swallowed one from the remote control, and was put into an induced coma for days with permanent damage to her esophagus. She's fine now, but so many kids die before they even know a battery was swallowed- they look like a coin in an X-ray and usually docs just want to wait till it passes through. They start leaking acid within an hour of being ingested, damage is immediate with few symptoms other than what might be noted with a cold- gasping and difficulty breathing. So go round them up if you have kids or pets ANYwhere around you!ReplyDelete
Well, I provided you all with a public service announcement at least. I TRY not to do it. And I will TRY HARDER not to do it. Promise!!!ReplyDelete