Sunday, November 15, 2015

Begin again

The next theme for High Fiber Diet is "green", which can be interpreted as we wish, however, it must be made using a certain percentage of recycled materials. For me nothing could be more "green" than my stash of recycled shirt fabrics. Even though I took a break from using the shirt fabrics, they re still exciting to me, so it seems like a good time to get back to them.

First I needed an idea and a sketch. I had a photo I took in Quito two years ago that really appealed to me, but would be a challenge to simplify in a way that could yield an interesting composition. This is where I love sketching on my iPad, which does not lend itself to fussy, detailed design, so it forces me to pare down the detail to a more essential form. Then, playing with color on the iPad is when it gets really fun.

 

I needed some purples, so I did a little over dyeing of blue fabrics to get some nice, rich purples.

 

What I love about over dyeing is that one dye bath will produce varied results, depending on the starting color of what you put in it.

I'm making a pile of fabrics that I think will work.

This might be my favorite part of the whole process...

 

4 comments:

  1. I agree. Nothing says recycled quite like your stash of shirt fabric. I love your sketch and can hardly wait to see where this goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:32 AM

    Your colors are yummy gorgeous. Good start!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like fun....!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, Terry, this is OUR favorite part of your process too! Love to see the preliminaries! Love the sketch,anxious to see the complete piece.

    ReplyDelete