Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Leftovers

In cleaning out the old workroom and moving stuff to the studio I am getting down to those things I am not sure what to do with. I think there is plenty I can toss, some I can donate, but still quite a lot of stuff that I am unsure of. I have this flannel board where I have been sticking pieces and parts that I have made for various pieces and then changed my mind about. They seem usable, but for what? I think of it as the "boneyard" which is where leftover materials go that might be used again later.

It might be a funny kind of challenge to see if I could use all of these pieces together in one piece. Or, maybe not. Those hearts on the right—I had this idea months ago that I would use scraps from the work I was doing and make a gagillion little heart pieces and, come Valentine's Day, I would surreptitiously leave them about out in public, for people to find. As you can see I have made four so far. Maybe some Valentine's Day this will happen. Or maybe not. What would you do? Throw all this stuff away? It didn't work for what it was originally intended, but it seems a shame to toss it.

I end up with leftovers on my camera as well. I take a bunch of pictures, mostly for use on the blog, but I don't use them all. A lot I just erase, but there are always a few that I like and they hang around for awhile, then I erase them. Here are a couple from the past couple of weeks that I saved. I opened them up today and fiddled with filters in Photoshop to see what I could make of them. I actually like the look. A bit like old woodblock prints.





15 comments:

  1. I love the "leftovers" wall... you never know when you will need a pair of scissors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please don't ever throw away that bird and rice bowl. I'm still loving that piece & I still live in hope of seeing another, similar one

    The first photo looks like it would make a great book cover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bits and Pieces always can find a place in a quilt. So my vote is--don't throw away. They may turn into an inspiration along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really loved reading your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the scissors, cup, thread, etc. piece. It could almost stand alone as a wall piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You could sell the bits and pices. I'd buy the bird on the bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. AH! If you decide to toss any of these, please please please save that fabric, thread, scissors one -- I'll take it! I can see making something for my Mother with that piece!

    As for the photos, that first pic - the one of the new studio -- you should make that into a quilt. That's my vote!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all the parts - loved how they glowed as the blog loaded.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i think there is a lot of possibility in those scattered bits, and you will possibly see that after not looking at them so much.

    the hearts look like the tiles you you love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Even the hint that you might toss these wonderful bits gives me the chills. I can see a quilt growing out of each one. Put them away for a few months and then reconsider what might grow from these "seeds".

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whatever you do, don't ever ADMIT to tossing the boneyard. You'll have a jillion people going through your trash the second you post. LOL I have a small bin with that sort of thing in it. I usually find them useful later.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I see a lady in her new studio having tea with a bird to keep her company.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How about a project with that cutey granddaughter of yours? She seems like quite the aspiring crafter, quilter, sewist...I bet she has some fun ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your photoshopped pictures are gorgeous too! you must do something with them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That photo of your studio screams "Christmas card!" to me.

    ReplyDelete