Saturday, November 12, 2011

Saturday stuff

First, before I get to anything else, if you want to see the best pictures of the Twelve by Twelve adventure in Houston, go to Diane Perin Hock's blog. She has put together a slide show that are all the pictures I wish I had taken. Look at her slideshow and then I won't show you another picture of Houston!

I worked on a couple of studio projects today. I have been thinking and thinking about how I was going to create a design wall. I have looked at a lot of things other artists have done and honestly haven't loved most of them. A common material for design wall are big 4' x 8' foam insulation panels. Usually these are covered with felt or flannel and either attached to the wall or just leaned against a wall. Ugh. The thought of hauling home one of these monster things and covering it was just too hard to contemplate. Some people just hang a flannel sheet or a big piece of felt on the wall. Always looks so floppy to me. I decided today to try using foamboard— like is used for crafts or signs. I bought 12 of them at the dollar store. The dollar store foam board is not as nice as the more expensive, but I was going to cover them with flannel anyway. I glued two together for each panel, to provide a little deeper surface to pin to, then covered them with white flannel and screwed the 6 resulting panels to the wall.


Since I already had a bolt of flannel all I bought was the foam board and screws, so my biggest investment in this is my time. I think it will work for my purposes. It is 60" square, far larger than most of the quilts I make, but if I decide to start working big I can easily add more panels. This will allow me to stand back and get some distance and perspective as I am working. I can't tell you what a luxury that will be.You can see in the bottom right panel that I had to cut a hole for the light switch.

Then I hung my collection of old scissors above the window. I love old scissors. Such a simple, graphic tool. I have been buying them at yard sales and second hand stores for years. Most are pretty ordinary, but some are old and quite charming in design. I got them all hung up and wondered if they seem a little threatening!

Still fighting a cold, and I wore myself out with all this handy-womaning.

My new solar lights illuminate the path back to the house.

17 comments:

  1. You really need to submit that wonderful scissor picture to the Things Organized Neatly blog, http://thingsorganizedneatly.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not threaten at all!! Very cool graphic. Bummer about the cold, I can't seem to get warm but at least I am not coughing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the design wall panels were a stroke of genius. i like that you doubled up on them so that the pins could go in more. the scissors display is quite impressive. love the solar lights on the walk! sure hope you shake that cold soon. took me about a week to get rid of mine. using the vaporizor really helped.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also collect scissors and I love how you have yours displayed. (I only have a few, so scattering them on my bookshelves works.) I like your design wall. I used a piece of homosote (?), but I like your idea better. Take care and I hope your cold leaves and takes this crappy weather with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the nice comments about my photos. I wish I had taken more of just the people and the booths! And that "pain" aisle where they sold pain creams and foot massagers and so-called comfortable shoes and such. I found that very funny.

    I love how your scissors look and found it especially amusing that one of your Houston purchases was a scissor fob to keep them with you when you sew... heck, if you misplace one pair of trimming scissors, you've got a bunch handy right on the wall! I love how it looks.

    And funny you mention the threatening thing -- I have a humungous wooden scissors hanging in the living room over a chair and my sister always says she hates to sit in that chair because they're threatening!

    Your path back to the house looks so welcoming, too. Lovely.

    Now I don't just want a new studio -- I want a separate studio building with a beautiful garden path like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use foam core as my design wall as well. Love the stuff! I can rip it down & put up new if it ever gets too holey.

    The scissors would creep me out a little but they're still wonderful. The new sewing digs .... awesome! Your very own corner of the the world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous4:04 AM

    Lovely....the path, just lovely. If I could write I would write a story about the path.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Diane's slideshow was fabulous. She did a great job with it. Enjoy your design wall, it sounds like you came up with the perfect solution on building one for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous6:02 AM

    I love scissors too. Hanging them the way you did is brilliant! It is so fun to watch you settle into your new studio.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've still got my allergies and am coughing, coughing. I like your design wall, I think it's perfect for the small work you do. I'm going to be replacing mine soon, but I want floor to ceiling. I don't like styrofoam, I have something heavier up there now, but can't remember what they call it at the hardware store. Your scissors are really cool, i like them hanging around the window.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea. Have you thought about submitting your studio to Interweave's Studio magazine? It would make for a great article.

    http://www.interweavestore.com/Mixed-Media/Magazines/Studios-Winter-2011.html?SessionThemeID=7

    ReplyDelete
  12. what an incredible idea! Thank you so much for sharing! I have struggled with the fact that I don't have a large enough space and the foam core would work perfectly!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous9:04 AM

    Love the scissors hanging, always think it is cool to see items repurposed...threatening not, only to those who do not get it.
    Hope your cold is better...nasty stuff. I had mine a month and still sniffile.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha!! Now you'll never be lonely in your studio--you're sewing in front of a rather large audience of scissors. (The two above the left -hand side of your window aren't threatening but don't look like they entirely approve--but, I'd ignore them if I were you. There are one or two in every crowd!! :o)
    I'll be watching with great interest at how well your design wall holds up. I have a flannel blanket tacked on my wall--NOT entirely satisfactory!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmmmm. I think I used the word "entirely" entirely too much in my post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great design wall idea! I've been trying to figure out how to incorporate one into my studio. I really like all the scissors, what a cool collection you've amassed. I have to admit thought that the second I saw them I thought of the scene in Twister where Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton go running into that barn filled with metal implements and go running back out again. No doubt your use of the word "threatening" had something to do with it. Or my own mental issues. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like window with scissors. Look very creative)

    ReplyDelete