Monday, November 14, 2011

Oregon quilts

I got some nice news today. The two pieces I submitted to the Oregon SAQA show, Oregon: State of Diversity, were accepted. I know I showed some of the progress on the first one, Women of the Oregon Trail, but I don't think I ever showed the finished piece.

The women represent the Native Americans who lived in the Oregon Territory, the generations of immigrant woman who came by wagon and the slaves and later, former slaves who came. The quilt pattern in the background is the traditional block called, "Oregon Trail." The words stitched in the background read: Oregon Trail - 1841-1869," "400,000 men, women and children," and "Missouri to Oregon - 2,000 miles."

The second quilt was actually made for the High Fiber Diet Bird's Eye View show, but it fits nicely into the SAQA theme. "Mt. Hood from the Air."


7 comments:

  1. Congratulations Terry. So nice to see your work recognized.

    The Mt. Hood piece is a favorite of mine. Wonderful faces and details in the Oregon Trail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrads! I was just at Latimer for the opening reception of STiTCH's "Truth to Tell" and both of your current Oregon quilts were on full display there. The pinecone and the glassfloat, wonderful to see them in person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!!! That's wonderful. I like the idea and design of the women, but I like just looking at Mt. Hood. :)

    My mail had good news too. There was a check for $18.04 in it. Apparently there was a class action suit involving foreign currency conversion and we got 'our share'. Never heard of it, but it's a real check. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:19 PM

    Congratulations!! When and where will the show be held?
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are both very "Oregon" quilts. I'm glad they were selected for the show. You do good stuff! Love, Del

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you make the best faces in fabric of any I have seen.

    ReplyDelete