Sunday, August 03, 2008

Coffee and paint

I headed in to the old house today to do some packing, cleaning, paint touch up, etc. and stopped by the Starbucks drive-through for a latte to power me through my chores. When I got up to the window the barista said, "Guess what! The guy in the car ahead of you paid for your drink." I was so amazed and delighted it seemed only right to make someone else's day, so I paid for the guy in the car behind me. I kinda hoped it would continue. It was a double whammy—made me feel good that someone bought my drink and made me feel extra good to pass it on. I drove away with my latte thinking this was a portent of a good day to come.

Then, a bit later, still basking in the glow of that pay-it-forward moment, I somehow managed to flip my paint-laden paintbrush right out of my hand into the air, where it did a somersault and landed on my sleeve, bounced down my pant leg, splattered my shoe and went splat onto the wood floor.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:21 AM

    sometimes the universe is all about turning your life into a sitcom, hey. I can't help but laugh - laugh away a year's worth of stress and disappointments, sometimes - when I get brought back down to earth like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It could have been worse!! When I saw your title, I was sure coffee had ended up in the paint or vice versa!! A couple of days ago, Mr C had taken his cup and I poured mine and in an instant, I tipped my cupand the coffee was gone. Argh! I had to make a new pot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh! and then Arrrg!

    What a funny little real-life post.

    I suspect you lifted that picture out of your files. It's not the right season for red Starbuck's cups.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:28 PM

    Aw, the coffee thing made me smile! I wonder how long the chain went like that? Karma and all...

    Bummer about the paint - oops!
    Anjea

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:17 AM

    I guess it's true: No good deed goes unpunished!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had that experience going through the tolls on the Garden State Parkway years ago. Somebody paid my 25 cent toll - LOL. Today, with EZ-Pass, it's over. And we don't have drive-in Starbucks here. Drive-in banks: now there's a thought - maybe somebody in the car ahead of me can make a deposit in my account.

    As for the paint - Jettstream has it right. BTW your house looks warm and welcoming, just like you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. At least the paint landed on a wipe-able floor and not carpet!

    Pay it forward coffee is great! Our newest neighbor at our old house gave me a surprise check for all the euro appliances I passed on to her when we moved so when the kids' new school was looking for donations to the PTA I wrote them a check for the same amount. It felt like the right thing to do.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete