Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Damn, I'm crafty

Here's something you can do with all those old quilting magazines—I know you have them!

I saw a small bag here made from woven strips cut from magazines and covered with shiny packing tape. The idea was intriguing, so I spent several evenings figuring out how to weave a larger, tote bag size. Most of the strips actually were cut from old Quilters Newsletter magazines. I lined it with a heavy, black canvas duck. I think a good sturdy lining is essential, because the bag itself isn't very sturdy. I sewed on handles with buttons.

I wonder if it will even hold up to any kind of wear and tear. I have jury duty this week. Maybe I will take a book and a bottle of water with me and try it out.

I'm sure my family, though they are usually nice enough not to say so, wonder what motivates me to make these huge messes (strips of magazine paper ended up everywhere!) and create these strange items. Usually my motivation isn't so much the desire to own a woven magazine page tote bag, but rather the challenge of just seeing if it is really possible to figure out. And, actually, I do think it is really cool looking.

7 comments:

  1. That is indeed, VERY cool looking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remind me sometime to tell you of the bags I was inspired to make using six pack plastic, yarn and a crochet hook. So much fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:56 PM

    OK, that is very cool. But what I need to know is if this is straight weaving or is it "gumwrapper chain" weaving? I've seen pictures of bags, booties, etc. done by prisoners using potato chip bags and I can't for the life of me figure out how it's done. Not that I need a chip bag anything (or a magazine page anything) but I really want to know how its done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It IS cool looking! Let us know what others tell you about it! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:30 AM

    Terry - your ideas never cease to amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is very cool!! I know the packing tape is what will hold it together, but what if it were coated with some kind of sealant/varnish instead?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is cool looking.

    ReplyDelete