Tuesday, August 15, 2006

More APNQ Quilts

Continuing with some of my favorite quilts at the APNQ Show in Seattle last weekend, I loved two quilts, both by Borg Hendrickson. One is "Fences Two #9" and the other is "Fences Two #8". I don't know which is which.

The colors, and the way they glow, first attracted me to these pieces, then I began to see the rhythm of the repeated shapes marching up and down those angles. It is easy to imagine buildings and windows and ladders and fire escapes in a funky little cityscape in each one.









So, here is a more straight-
forward cityscape, "Lugano to Zurich" by Karen Hanken. I just loved the wonkiness of the buildings and the sense of building crowded against building and surrounded by mountains. This was the one quilt in the show that made me think "I wish I had made that."


My final "favorite" is "Birds of Another" by Barbara Olsen. I have seen Barbara's work over the years and have always loved the way she uses patterned fabrics in combination with hand-dyes and her masterful touch with curved piecing. These birds may be my favorite of her quilts. They have presence, and look at that wonderful negative shape between the two birds.

None of these quilts had ribbons on them. I loved them more than most of the quilts that were awarded prizes. It just goes to show that—well, actually I don't know what that shows, but I do feel like my ribbon-less quilts were keeping pretty good company.

Tomorrow—I'll show you how my quilts looked hanging in Seattle.

3 comments:

  1. Love the top quilt. The colours are beautiful (hmm, it's always the colour that gets me!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:02 PM

    Hi Teri, that first one looks very much like a Nancy Crow piece. It's stunning but that's what came to mind when I first looked at it. Sounds like you not only had a grat time but got to be inspired by the sights.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:58 PM

    You were right, as usual, about Borg's pieces -- they are wonderful. June

    ReplyDelete