Tuesday, December 01, 2015


December 1 and the calendar is really filling up. So much to do this month that I am a little afraid I won't get much time in the studio, so I've set a little challenge for myself. I gathered some small pieces of solid colored fabrics—one for each day of Decembers—and I plan to spend at least enough time in the studio each day to try some little surface design experiment on one of them. I'll probably miss a few days, but maybe some days I'll do two!

Here's my first. I used my handy little squeeze bottle with the metal tip to draw a leaf on my fabric, using clear acrylic medium, let it dry, then used some Inktense watercolor pencils to add a little color.

I was a little disappointed to see that the medium didn't provide quite as crisp a resist as I had hoped. Then I turned it over! The back was just what I was hoping to see!

I count this as a successful experiment with an unexpected twist.

I think experimentation is so useful. It is something I have always done and I wrote an article about it for the new issue of Through Our Hands magazine. You can read it here. This issue is just full of good stuff! Enjoy.



  1. Anonymous4:31 PM

    Thanks for the link to this wonderful ezine. I enjoyed your article and LOVE the house quilt,which I hadn't seen finished. I was also pleased to see articles by Luke Haynes and Judy Coates Perez. Julie

  2. Oh goody! We will get to benefit from your experimentation too.

  3. Wow, that is a twist on your expectations and a welcome one, I'm sure.